Waxing the wood axle on a wooden yo-yo?

So elitist, Glen :wink:

It returns fine – you just have to do a regen or throw much harder. What I described (forward pass to around the world and gravity return) was a fairly long spin scenario for a wood axle.

I’d estimate the beeswax improves spin by about 10-20%, it’s not that dramatic a difference either way. I can definitely confirm beeswax on the axle does not make anything worse.

2 Likes

That’s certainly not my attitude, but I can see how you might think that from what I’m saying.

1 Like

I’ve never been great at explaining myself, so please excuse my rambly post!

Glen is right. You can always get a wooden fixie to work by adjusting the string, breaking it in and getting used to it. It’s always a safe bet just to leave your axles alone and let them work as intended, there’s really no arguing that.

The main reason I have ever used Burt’s Bees on wooden axles is to add response to slippery cotton strings. I personally cannot stand the feeling of a delayed response / slippery axle on fixed throw, and almost all of mine have felt like a thick lubed unresponsive throw at some point.

I’ve tried making strings that are tight enough to be responsive under neutral tension. I’ve tried making soft strings and adding lots of positive tension until it responds properly (this is what normal people do). Neither of these solutions are ideal for me. I like using soft type 6 cotton strings with neutral tension and still be able to stall, regen, kickflip and do all my tricks confidently without question, and the only way I can do this is with a waxed axle.

And no, I don’t believe Burt’s Bees will do any harm to a wooden axle, though it will smell like peppermint!

4 Likes