Videos I refuse to watch, and recommend you do the same.

ok

Dude, a lot of great videos are being missed here. The point of the title is for organization like adding 2011 or 3 years, also are you saying youve missed out on Worlds 2011 feat. Yoyoer? Also I have named videos after lyrics, what wrong with it? It’s me trying to be creative. It is your opinion, but my opinion is that yours is a bad one.

i dont agree with the music part. If i want Behemoth or The Exploited to be my soundtrack, then it will be… just press mute if you are too close-minded to something louder than the norm. Also, some people may not be able to think of a creative title because English isnt their first language, or they just arent imaginative enough.

The tricks should speak for the video, not the music, the title, or even the scenery

Exactly, it shouldn’t matter what the title is, who cares, all we want to see are the good tricks.

Thats just what I was thinking. In fact, I think most of these naming systems evolved from more experianced players, and then other people sarted copying off them. Personally, I just let Dr Yoyo pick out the good ones for me and watch his after the jump collum.

I dont want to start an argument but i just want to watch cool tricks . like on zach gormleys youtube he has a vid called " Zach Gormley 2 Years" and its very good as well as many other vids with similar title.    And if u ppl dont like the music just mute, thats what i do.

Here is link to zachs vid  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG3Yw34yz5s

I can post a video that doesn’t abide by any of your rules to avoid…and it would totally suck…so ya, if you don’t have anything nice to say, just stfu

I’m not defending or accusing anyone.

I just think that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some people will still like videos with those suggestions in it, while other are against things like that. Videos with titles like that will never end, and like it or not, there will always be people who will watch them. I’m just saying rather than try to make everyone stop, just let it be. I understand your view on the titles, but as some of the people said here, there is some videos with titles like that that are pretty good. Just my 2 cents

Because pretty much none of you understand where I’m coming from, I’ll cross-post this from another board:

It is important to remember that the rules I listed out are not hard and fast rules, more like guidelines. Big obnoxious html-flash-tag annoying red flag guidelines, but guidelines nonetheless. Of course some people can bulldoze through them by virtue of what they bring to the table, but through my observations over the years, in the very high majority of cases, the characteristics I mentioned are strongly correlated with (not necessarily causative of, which is a crucial distinction) videos I would’ve lost nothing by skipping over.

As I said, I watch yoyo videos for the yoyoing. I want to see people studying what’s out there, making a concerted effort to push it as far as they can manage, and presenting their ideas ready to be grafted into the orchard of yoyoing. A lot of yesterday’s most fruitful trees aren’t producing anymore, and it’s our turn to give this whole bearing fruit idea a shot, so to speak. But I probably ought to prune this before it branches off too far, as it’s a potentially very weighty discussion I think would be best left to its own thread.

Main point being, if you want to make a video of yourself walking down the street or standing in the woods doing whatever tricks you feel like, or if you want to make a video to show how much you’ve improved since Xtober 20XX, I have nothing against that. That’s cool and I hope you love doing it. It’s just not something I want to watch, personally. And I think people who watch videos with the same objectives as I do, or wish to give it a try at least, would be well-advised to save a lot of time by heeding the aforementioned red flags.

tl;dr nobody said to stop stepping your game up.

Furthermore. I suspect many of you on YYE have never seen many of what are considered the great yoyo videos, or don’t hold them in the same regard as some of the more experienced players might. It is my belief that YouTube and the advent of streaming video in general have contributed to the death of them, because now instead of downloading a video, slowing it down, studying it, and perhaps still coming back to it five years later, it’s normal to watch a video once, close the window, and forget it ever happened. People aren’t making videos when they have something interesting to bring out, they’re making videos…well, for other reasons. You can’t expect people to study your video if they are unable to, so it’s easy to make a video that can be viewed once and disposed of. ‘Stream’ yoyoing has become more popular now as well, diluting even some of the better videos. As someone who ‘grew up’ on great videos, I don’t want to see them die, so I’m going to do everything I can to prevent it or at least slow it down.

The fact of the matter is, alot of people don’t watch videos with the same perspective as you. When I watch a video I’m looking for new tricks, good style, and fun. I’m also interested in how that person wants to present their tricks to me. If they think it fits standing in the woods, or the side of the road, then that’s great. If they think it fits a blank wall, that’s totally fine. Why are Breeze and You’re Future’s With Us two of the best videos to come out in recent memory? Because they considered much more than just the tricks.

The whole “I grew up in a different era than you therefore I know better” card doesn’t qualify your argument here, or at least not for the general public. You’re right: people don’t watch videos the same way anymore. So? The fact that a video is downloaded doesn’t make the tricks any better. If I see something I think is awesome, I watch it again. I remember it. If I see things that are not as awesome, I don’t remember them. No big deal. I’d also argue that the advent of YouTube has greatly benefited the general yoyoing video-making scene, because now so many more players have a venue with which to show what they have and to get feedback based on it.

So I guess I’m trying to say is that if you want to make people feel dumb about the way that they appreciate other people’s yoyoing, or the way that they show their own, just don’t. This is still about having fun and improving. Nobody needs someone running around telling them why their method of showing their stuff sucks.

Phark, I love you in most cases. Really. I think you’re one of the more level-headed people on these interwebz. But this time, you were a jerk.

6 Likes

I had a point-by-point rebuttal written up…but eh. Quite simply, I stand by everything I’ve said. Yes, I’m a jerk, but I really don’t care. If this thread makes a single person look at himself honestly and critically and want to improve, it’s done its job.

J. Lev really neither of those videos hold any of the problems he brought up. funny thing is there are plenty of good videos out there that break all those rules.
;D

Also, I have found plenty of outstanding videos that make me disagree with your first rule. Here is one such example.

Who cares how creative the title is. It’s the tricks in the video that matter.

Let me start by saying I’ve never made a video before and don’t really plan on it anytime soon.
From my video watcher only point of view I agree with you on most of the topics covered. Now of course there’s going to be exceptions so posting videos saying “YOU’RE WRONG THIS VIDEO ROCKS AND IS TITLED _____” isn’t really proving much. Fact of the matter is, when I personally, see a video that’s title is a; name, period of time, yoyo, test or preview of any sorts, I immediately plan on skipping it. the camera tests specifically bug me. I know you aren’t just testing your probably old camera. you don’t fool me.
now of course I’ll check and see if anybodys raving about it calling it the “best vid ever” I may give it a looksie but odds are slim.
Everything other than that can be fixed by the watcher i.e. skipping credits, muting sound, ignoring backgrounds, so on and so forth

Now, again, having not made a video nor planning on it in the near future I can say I would avoid the title problems, simply because I think it’s tacky. I’d rather use a title to draw in watchers and catch their attention rather then promote myself or my progress. I think most of these points are great to keep in mind as they would help you appear to be more professional, and aid you in drawing in more watchers.

CSB.

Your*

I’m sorry Mr. Levine, but I just hate it when the wrong your is used. Carry on people. :slight_smile:

I agree with just about everthing in your post J. lev, but just because he has a differing opinion about why yoyo videos should be watched, doesn’t make him a jerk.

It’s not because he has a differing opinion, but becasue he’s bringing it up and saying these vidoes should be deemed unwatchable.

I suppose if thats the case. Though personally, it seems like the post was made out of good intent. Everyone’s busy these days, It seems to me he was just trying to present a way to for people to sort out videos worth watching and videos that aren’t worth watching. But then, maybe I’m just interpriting his post wrong.