Video on the History of Tech

Along with my other new clip vid, I put together a video explaining where the tech style of yo-yoing started. I don’t see much publicly available info on the topic. A History of Tech Yo-Yoing - YouTube

27 Likes

Thank you so much for making this. This video is not only extremely well made, but I think it’s really important to make sure this history is documented so it isn’t lost on newer throwers like myself. Until now my entire understanding of the origin of tech was just “JD’s worlds 2003 performance made tech popular.” I never really considered that tricks like spirit bomb/superman would’ve been some of the earliest technical tricks.

7 Likes

I have a feeling you’re a very busy man, so thanks for taking time to make these for us. Really enjoyed watching it!

5 Likes

JD and I were planning on making a tech video together which never panned out (I can’t remember why), but that became my first solo clip video.

5 Likes

This is awesome. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this!

3 Likes

Really great to learn the history. Thank you!

3 Likes

Great Video! Keep ‘em coming.

Your pointing to Spirit Bomb as a start for tech I think is sound. The mount as far as I can discern is the first to have a kink. Does anyone know who invented the wrist mount/spirit bomb mount? I know Escolar invented the standard dismount, which Jeff used for the trick.

I remember when I first learned Rancid Milk; it was a game changer for sure. JD made a tutorial for it around 2004ish.

Glad to see you mention Eric Twark. I always wondered what happened to him.

One thing you didn’t mention was Spencer Berry’s Phalanx Primus video. I think it’s from 2001, and it also features Twark among other greats. Defiantly worth checking out for those who want to see more of early tech.

13 Likes

Oh I had forgotten about that video! It was a good one, for sure.

Oh wow you are back!

Newbies here, you can view Jordan’s orginal videos in the Sector Y archive. (Going to need to download VLC player or deep dive search for guys that put this up on youtube.)

https://archive.sector-y.com/

He truly is your favorite yoyo player’s favorite player.

7 Likes

I was actually thinking about your comment in that video when he posted his new video last night.

2 Likes

There’s a list of the videos on YouTube here:https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxaDcwyjYomxrrrpldFy82ADHy6o-euH3

3 Likes

I too really love this the history. Definitely keep them coming.

Was the USA that much further ahead than Europe and Asia?

Time to learn Rancid Milk!! :yo-yo:

1 Like

What a really well made video with fantastic content. @JordanCooper To answer your question at the end… yes I think we’d all love to see more history videos.

And I hope your kids are following this thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eric Twark was a GOD lol - I remember watching the old MA videos and him popping out of nowhere in a clip and the music changed into this epic soundtrack (that i still remember how it went LOL) when he did his tricks. - Wish I knew which video that was/or if its even uploaded haha

3 Likes

Yeah, I wish there was more footage of him. I think you might be thinking of this video (a little after 3:20).

1 Like

YESSSS omggg that was the one!!! OMGG im oretty sure I had this on a burned CD too lol - Thanks for the find @imperator381 !!!

2 Likes

great history lesson. love that most of these early 2000s trick vids have that progressive house glam techno sound, this is like memory lane but other peoples memories, lol.

figured out wristmount and magic drop this year, now I gotta start working on superman…

2 Likes

Superman is a classic. Great tech to start with.

1 Like

He sent me that video and then told me that he was done yo-yoing when he ran out of strings. So then we sent him a bundle of strings but he still quit. It’s too bad. The guy was incredible.

We weren’t ahead in general, but tech did in particular seem to develop more in the US than anywhere else. Watch routines of the best Japanese players at the time. They were often experts in speed and flow, rather than more technical tricks. I think they just developed differently, but we all borrowed from each other.

3 Likes