USPS Is losing it. My Yoyo is on a USA tour!

It’s not my first choice. It’s somewhere in a long list of things the government doesn’t need to be involved in. I think mail delivery and national security are apples and oranges.

the government has to so it could be funded. Without it, we would not be getting any mail.

That’s not all that unusual. Reading the tracking can be quite entertaining, even though it’s frustrating waiting for your package.

I sent a package to a location 5 miles from my house, albeit in a different zip code. It went to 4 different states before it turned around and was delivered 5 days later. In another instance, a friend sent me a package from a city 200 miles away (within the state) it was initially sent to a postal location 50 miles from my house, then to a location 40 miles from the original location and a couple of intermediate stops on it’s way to my house a week later. It’s about a 3.5 hour drive.

On the issue of wasting your tax dollars, @stamming and @fradiger are spot on. The USPS receives no tax dollars and have been hobbled by political machinations for years.

8 Likes

That’s my point. Find me a government agency that isn’t “hobbled by political machinations”. I understand no tax dollars are directly spent, but the money comes from somewhere. If you borrow it, the taxpayers do pay for that, one way or another. I just don’t understand why mail can’t be delivered by someone who isn’t hobbled by political machinations.

Indeed you (and I) do. :wink:

1 Like

Maybe the USPS driver was too afraid of Hwy 17 from SJ to SC…in all seriousness, this sucks. I had a game go “on tour” back in 2020 and it was gone for well over a month, ended up getting a refund after waiting an additional week. Ended up just buying the game in person and of course the month later the game arrives.

Had a yoyo (SuperYo Renegade) not even have any tracking updates earlier this year when it shipped from Virginia. Its arrival to its main hub was all I got. It sat (and sat) at the post office, both myself and Ebay seller thought it was done and they were ready to issue me a refund. I told them to let’s give it a couple more days before we pull the trigger. They were ready to just take the loss if it did show up though I would have found a way to still pay for it. Suddenly I wake up next day to see it landed in the Bay Area and was slated to be out for delivery.

I have had several yoyos take from several weeks to maybe 2 months to arrive. I live west of Portland, OR, and the packages always make it to Portland. Usually they go to my local office and are delivered, but sometimes they are off on an adventure! I have had packages bounce back and forth between the east and west coast multiple times and packages get sent from Portland back to Salt Lake City and sit there for weeks. I recently had a package from Arizona make it to San Francisco, where it spent a number of days, only to be sent to Oklahoma (I think it was Oklahoma, someplace way off the route, anyway), and then on a tour of several more cities before finally making it’s way to Portland.

idk man I think most governments sorta need a post service to deliver government documents (tax docs, court summons, voter registration, etc.) to and from people. unless private services are bound by law to deliver these things consistently, untampered, at a reasonable rate then we might still be paying for these services with our tax dollars. so in a sense (correct me if I’m wrong or this doesn’t make sense), since the gov already has to do use the post service quite regularly, why not just run the thing and also allow the public to use it.

2 Likes

and now that we know that our taxpayer dollars do not really much fund usps, we also have no real reason to complain about it unless we choose to use it specifically. or we could complain about the larger category of delivery services, I guess.

p.s. I do very much like usps and use it regularly to deliver handwritten mail across the country. stamps are also neat!

2 Likes

I think we can all agree that stamps are neat!

1 Like

People in need who live in countries that bother to take care of their citizens.

4 Likes

Oh if they paid their fair share then you could have a UBI that pays more than a minimum wage job, lol. The amount of wealth hoarding in this world is insane.

2 Likes

It’s not a business, it’s a service. While I don’t condone wasteful federal spending, it’s not supposed to generate profit.

because without it being a government service not every single person by law would be getting their mail out of companies being greedy and choosing not to deliver to rural areas like where I live. I feel if you want to complain about shipping times and delivery come live in Canada or some other country than the place with arguable one of the most manned postal services aka getting your packages on timee a lot lot more consistantly than other places. Just food for thought since people who talk about shipping kinda irks me as I live in a Country where shipping is both very expensive and takes a lot of time.

1 Like

This is why I don’t agree with those who say living in the US sucks and living in another country/continent is so much better. There’s a lot we Americans take for granted that others would go as far as emigrating to the USA for. No country is problem free, but I’ll take what I have here over anywhere else

1 Like