Using nail polish remover to make yoyo unresponsive?

Responsive is too limiting, i need more, but i dont want to beg my mom for another yoyo. Will putting the bearing in nail polish remover for a few minutes make my yoyo almost fully unresponsive? I’m using a yomega maverick, it’s a nice metal yoyo, but the box it came in said it was for responsive play.

I’m asking if this will work before I waste my time. Will it have the same effect as lighter fluid? Because that does not make my yoyo fully unresponsive, but it does make it come back to my hand less often.

3 Likes

Yes that should work! Acetone is a good bearing cleaner though the purer the better (it should have the % purity on the bottle).

For a long term bearing cleaning solution, I’d recommend pure acetone or, as a secondary option, mineral spirits. Although, both of these are pretty harsh chemicals, and I’m not sure your parents would want you using them without supervision. If either of your parents is handy, they might already have either of those laying around the house.

In the meantime, nail polish remover should do the trick, but after you soak the bearing in the polish remover, I would take some canned air or a fan of some sort and try to blow out and dry the bearing as best as you can. Acetone has the benefit of evaporating on its own very quickly. Good luck and have fun! :blush:

1 Like

Nail polish remover is notorious for having additives/impurities that have been shown to be detrimental to bearings. They put stuff in it so as not to adversly affect your skin, such as drying it out. These can build up on the bearing as the acetone evaporates.

My own preference is zippo or ronsonol lighter fluid with mineral spirits a close second.

3 Likes

PM me, I’m gonna hook you up :+1::+1:

2 Likes