unresponsive yoyo

hey guys,

So, in the past, i have bought two yo-yos that where supposed to be unresponsive (dark magic, dv888)
and they turned responsive. I wanted to know if, there are any unresponsive yo-yos that in your playing experience where unresponsive and stayed unresponsive without having to mod them?
and i mean dead unresponsive!!! I know that a lot of people will say to just play responsive, but i really really really like playing unresponsive!!!

thanks in advance ;D ;D

the only thing causing a dark magic or dv888 to ‘become’ responsive is stuff getting in the bearing and slowing it down. if you learn how to keep your bearings reasonably clean, those yo-yo’s you have will stay ‘dead unresponsive’.

I’m having the same problem, I have thin lube, and it didn’t really help at all, how do you clean a bearing?

the easiest way to clean a bearing is to deshield it, then submerge it in mineral spirits for ten minutes or so, before spinning it dry (ie on the tip of a pen).

do NOT use wd40 or other fast-evaporating solvents. using thin lube will protect the bearing, and prolong its life, but it still slows the bearing somewhat. personally, I almost never clean bearings.

guys, my bearing is cleaned all the time. And the bearing seat is free from anything. I just want you to tell me if there are any yoyos that are unresponsive and stay unresponsive!!!
(i clean my bearings in motor oil) like i asked!

and the only reason i ask this is because i am afraid to buy a 100$ yoyo if it’s going to unresponsive out of the box, (like my dv888 and DM where) but over about a 2 week or so time period, turn responsive.

most yoyos stay unresponsive. the only reason my yoyo bearing have become responsive is because i lubed them with WD40 or Valve oil for a trumpet. bad idea.

and you can learn to clean the bearings here:
http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,871.0.html

ok, I’ll try that. But if it doesn’t work, I’ll let you know. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

There’s a begginer Dark Magic that is thick lubed. Maybe you ordered that one. I don’t know what’s going on with the DV888.

That would be the reason your yoyo’s are becoming responsive.

and this.

the more you clean your bearings the less time they will last you before they start to fail and eventually lock up. buy a stock bearing and just break that sucker in. it’ll be unresponsive in a day or two (if you throw a lot) and will last you a good long time. people who get really uptight about making sure their bearings are spotless tend to do more harm than good.

1 Like

I’m sorry, i clean my bearings in lighter fluid. And i only clean my bearings about 1 every 3 months.

This made me lol… Ed, you don’t use a lot of bearing type yo’s. lol
I know you have them but I see you as a fixed axle aficionado. That is what made me laugh.
A fixed axle guy not cleaning bearings that often. lol Just makes me giggle.

i play bearings just as much as i play fixed these days.

… That makes sense, I used to only use compressed air to blow out my bearings, then decided to start using mineral spirits to clean instead, and I noticed that they seemed to crap out quicker on me, though I didn’t attribute it to the cleaning at the time.

Blasphemy I say! :wink: