Uni students, what's your major?

That goes for every European country, college is free over there.

I’m from the UK, and there is no free University in the UK. I know that because I am currently paying off my hard earned degree. Couple that with the fact that there are small (albeit almost nominal in some cases) tuition fees in France, the Netherlands, and I believe also in Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Italy…

Oh and not to destroy the thread (my apologies - it’s a topic close to my heart) I took Chemistry.

oh sorry for being ignorant from what my english has been feeding me I assumed that college there is free :open_mouth: she always talks about how she lived and taught in france and germany any time she gets.

Germany is a case in point, I believe they have just moved to a pretty much free system.

EDIT: Perhaps this was a little too close to politics. Suffice to say that everyone should be able to get a well rounded education. So that they can work out the best weight distribution for their new yoyo design, cost efficiently source it, and of course machine it :slight_smile:

Agreed. Germany is very attractive, especially to me, as I’m a Philosophy major who’s two years into learning German. I’m considering pursuing my PhD there if all goes well.

Australia, on the other hand, has gone a huge step back by making university fees unregulated as of 2016. Dark days.

University is close to being free in Norway. Yes there is a tuition fee, but most of it goes straight to student welfare programs like campus nurses, courses, and extracurricular activities. It’s still common for people to have a lot of debt when they graduate though, as they still have to pay for rent and food. Rent is an important point as it’s currently rising in most university cities in Norway. People have realized when there are more students than places for them to live, they can charge outrageous amounts of money for a moldy basement (I spent 10 months of my life in such a basement).

Got my first degree in computers, currently going for my mechanical engineering. :slight_smile:

My bachelor’s is in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering and my Master’s is in Engineering Management. I now work in software.

Yeah, sounds like my situation. Degree in aero eng, ended up as a systems admin doing programming, web admin and unix admin for an electric utility. On the way I was an airplane performance engineer, propulsion wind tunnel test engineer, worked in computational fluid mechanics and spent a good amount of time in missile launch and flight analysis.

1 Like

Poor jhb… he has to stare at us all day…

I am graduated with a degree in Security and Intelligence with a double minor in Political Science and Japanese.

I now work as an artist blacksmith. ???

Glad to see I’m not the only Filipino yoyoer! What’s your B-day? Mine is May 17th :slight_smile:

Business/Entrepreneurship

Got my bachelor’s degree in civil engineering this past May! Roads and bridges always need work in Minnesota thanks to our harsh winters. Hooray for job security!

Yeah, but the legislature doesn’t provide adequate funding. They wait until it breaks bad then try to look like heroes when they do something to fix it, as in the I-35 bridge collapse. :wink:

A friend of mine got out of the highway/bridge business and started a company doing water/sewage treatment plants and does very well.

Ain’t that the truth. Although the I-35 collapse did bring some extra funds in, it’s still not enough.

Yet we can justify billions for new stadiums for terrible teams and anemic light rail lines…