Under the Radar: CLYW Gorge

So I will admit right up front that I’m not a CLYW fan. For some reason their yoyos just don’t appeal to me. I did try the Pickaxe, but I didn’t like it and eventually sold it.

Having said that I find that for some reason the Gorge kinda intrigues me. But it seems to be a model that has completely flown under the radar. Nobody talks about it, which makes me hesitant, especially given its $135 price tag.

I invite those who own one to speak up and let me know what you think of it. I invite everyone else to speculate as to why its gotten the silent treatment all these years.

1 Like

I think it’s a combo of it’s desing choices and price tag that kept it under everyones radar. Being narrow, big in diameter but also bimetal makes it for a cluster of specs that almost nobody wants (i assume).

People who enjoy organics (and this one being giant in diameter and very narrow in width, making it more polarizing) are not looking for one thats bimetal.

People who are looking for bimetals (and this one being a spanking $135) are not looking for them being organic.

That would be my guess.

I have to admit that it is indeed a very intriguing yoyo. It might play amazing for all i know.

1 Like

It’s been my #1 in my current top 5 for the last two years. It is the best low RPM throw I’ve ever come across. It is the best Bi-Metal Organic period.

The only way to make it Couloir would be to make it between 54-55mm diameter and call it The Couloir @unklesteve and it would become this generation’s Peak

6 Likes

Why do you refer to it as a “low RPM” throw? I would think it’s 4.5mm gap would give the string plenty of grip to impart significant velocity to it on the throw. And the weight rings would presumably help with adding spin power as well. What am I not understanding about it?

I added one word to your statement that I can’t help but wonder might also add significantly to the indifference shown towards the Gorge. I get the impression that most CLYW fans are less interested in high-performance, competition-oriented yoyos and more into that whole “chill” yoyo scene. It seems like CLYW really caters to that, and so I would imagine that a yoyo like the Gorge would look like some kind of bizarre alien to them.

1 Like

You obviously have never played it. It is magicaI, it is so stable at low rmp it just keeps going. It doesn’t take much gas to cruise either. I mean it’s the owner of CLYW Chris Mikulin’s signature that brought us the Peak. Sounds like you need to add one to your collection to find out what it’s all about.

Sounds pretty amazing.

Is that what you mean by “low RPM” throw? I just don’t know what that term means, and am looking for an explanation of it.

RPM = Revolutions Per Minute. When most throws become unstable as spin slows and dies, The Gorge just keeps humming along. It gets every last bit of spin and is good till the last drop. Lots and lots of spin time on The Gorge that isn’t listed in the spec chart, you just have to play it. To compare it to an automotive analogy it would be like an Audi diesel that wins Le Mans 24 hour super car race every year.

I’d definitely want a gorge but for the price I’m not sure It’s worth it

Completely agree with your analysis … but maybe I’m not very objective as this yoyo is part of a whole niche of yoyos (yoyo disproportionately tight in my way of seeing, like the Deep State, the Daytona/Alpina, Executive, Walter/Theodore, etc.) which I consider quite useless and overcome objects.
I always thought that it will be a temporary trend that will soon be forgotten … maybe I’m wrong, time will tell.

1 Like

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.