Trying to help a young kid who is interested in Yoyoing....

What is the best YoYo for a young kid? How do I even set up a Yoyo for someone who is under 4 foot?
I was thinking of just getting him A Replay pro and Thick lubing the bearing. That way he would be set forever really. But there might be better…

Also, I am personally looking for a new 2A yoyo. How does the Initiator work? Or the 1080?

I think the 2 best options are to either get a YYF One and a spare C bearing for when they are ready to bind or a Yoyojam Classic with a spare C bearing.

Both cheap options. While the One is not the best designed yoyo for modern play, it comes responsive and is a good size for little hands. It will be just fine for them for a fair while.

The Classic is a good design for modern play and comes responsive, but is perhaps a little large at first for small hands.

To set up the string, drop the yoyo to the floor (gently) and cut the string at the child’s belly button. Then tie the loop and it will be the right length for them.

I agree with Glenacius.

With whatever you get, even with slim bearings, you’ll still need some thick lube for consistent catches if you want to play responsive.

Ok, thanks alot. I am curious about the string length you suggested though. For myself, I always found that way to short. I cant see how anyone could use it at that length. So why is that the generic suggestion? Is it just me?

It’s the standard suggestion for those who want to find a ballpark length when they are first starting out.

It is usually too short for those with experience, this is really just to help beginners.

This sounds like me tonight at the yoyo club. We had a bunch of first timers there who had never touched a yoyo but were interested. They ended up buying some YYJ Classics at the shop and learning, I ended up helping them get their string length set up as I had my multi tool. I actually set the kids up with belly button length so they can comfortably do a sleeper next thing I know, the kid who had never touched a yoyo did his first sleeper. Felt great teaching them and seeing them succeed.