Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Hop TowerI still need to get last week’s recorded.

12 Likes

Does anyone have any tips on takeshi?

I can do it but very inconsistent. I feel like maybe I’m not “throwing” the slack in the right direction? Most Moses are to the front of the throw

1 Like

Are you talking about the first slack, where you catch it on the thumb?

Honestly it’s just the third slack with the pointer. I can do every other one pretty much consistently.

But that stupid slack is going to ruin my life

1 Like

I personally think it is easiest to land consistently by adding the least amount of a “throw” to the slack as you can manage. You can add tension to the slack with the pinch and by keeping the Yoyo on the string before you release it and let it move around. You could try to film yourself, even if it’s just for yourself like no need to share it, but try to spot if you are dropping the slack below the Yoyo (and taking the pressure off the string) before you move to get the slack around. This is the most common thing I have seen that ppl could do differently, like they pinch and move the slack down but you wanna focus on maintaining the weight of the Yoyo on the string. Doing it this way helps me keep it aligned and consistent. If you think it’s something else, let us know and maybe some others will have some insight. Also once you do get the feel for it and are landing it, I like to do it like a repeater for a bit to really lock in that correct feel.

4 Likes

Interesting - thanks for the reply I’ll have to give it a try and work that into it. Thanks I’ll let you know!!

1 Like

Okay I thought about it more and when I do it for real I don’t turn over my wrist at all and I do add a bit of extra momentum by throwing a bit with nth. I throw straight down a bit also. Here is a vid and you can see I just move nth straight down a bit when the slack goes. Focusing on just down might help keep it lined up bc you’re still letting the string and natural physics of the movement do most of the work.

6 Likes

I 100% see what you are talking about and I appreciate it.
I’ve def been trying to maneuver it by throwing way out past my NTH. By throwing it down it really does follow the path better with less effort. Thank you!!

1 Like

Ok, here’s my hop tower combo, sorry i got a bit out of frame, im not good at this…

10 Likes

Week 41—Escape from the End

Yo this week we’re going to be learning Escape from the End by Akitoshi Tokubuchi. It’s a fun and cool trick with a simple slack element that can be done as a repeater. Have fun and good luck!

10 Likes
11 Likes

Thank you @GTDropKnot what a cool trick.

Also the Will is a killer throw!!

3 Likes

This is a really fun trick, give me a little bit to smooth it out and I’ll post a video.

3 Likes

Very cool pick. Been looking for a reason to practice that one handed chopstick again and i actually landed it today. Hoping i get the rest of this trick as well.

3 Likes

man i can’t follow this tutorial at all, im losing it on the third step

2 Likes

I’m just having a hard time getting the whip smooth to get nice repetitions, heres a little closer up of the first parts

8 Likes

this actually got me hitting it!! super surprised, i just need to tune the superflowish part, control the whip better, and land that chopsticks beginning better, probably in opposite order. thanks!

3 Likes

This trick is making me regret neglecting whip tricks for so long

4 Likes

Is this what goes wrong with the whip when you do the trick or was that bc you were demoing the steps for cake?

1 Like

No I was just demonstrating the first part, I got the first parts down really smooth but I’m having problems getting a nice pop at the end with enough slack to get a smooth whip. I end up just popping it over then slinging the slack over and it looks terrible. I really like your whip at the end so I’m trying to replicate that now. I’ll have it down with a nice few reps to put on a video and post up by tomorrow I’m sure.

4 Likes