Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Ah nice, I recorded this one a while back.

9 Likes

Any tips to help pull that loop through faster? Right before the pinch and slack spin. I’ve got the trick pretty well locked up, but every time I get to that part, I have to slow way way down to get those other strings out of the way.

1 Like

What helped me is looking at MrMatios TH pointer finger before the inward rotation. He is pointing diagonal up (following the motion), which makes catching the thumb slack and pull the loop through easier. Hope that helps

Minute 2:10-2:20

2 Likes

Yerp! That’s it thank you!

1 Like

Matio’s tuts are so so good. Never cuts corners and I really appreciate the slowing down of the elements and steps in motion. Plus he has a whole library of left- handed tuts on his channel that I don’t have to mirror lmao :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Eh close enough.

9 Likes

So I am 99.9% sure I am in the right formation at the end before the “twirl” - however I everytime I go to spin it around everything comes undone.

Is there something I’m missing?

It depends on which string you pull through in the end. If you pull the wrong string you are in a trapez.
If you post vids it is easier to see.

Maybe I should get a video.

I’m certain I’m in the right position, but idk if a knot is supposed to form or I’m not holding the right strings.

When I get go of everything I’m in the right end formation, but the twirl just seems to come undone and not stay “tight” while twirling if that makes sense

1 Like

Hard to say since every way you use ends always in a trapez. Only difference is if you can swing the loop once, twice or you just go straight trapez.

1 Like

Figured it out. I was not pinching enough and putting weight on the string that was supposed to twirl/wrap!

1 Like

Nice one.
P.S. Haha, der Held :+1:t5:

1 Like

So I can get a full run through, but need to smooth out lots of it:

• hitting the wrong strings
  • rejection when doing the roll type motion
  • pulling the right string through to get the slack
  • having enough slack

Ugh!

3 Likes

Anyone help on the end bit… I can’t work out how the strings are meant to come off my finger, but also, why the slack doesn’t stay open or just slides shut.

1 Like

I think I figured out what’s supposed to happen but I also didn’t give this trick enough effort to smooth it out and really lock in the very end. I did realize a couple things that might help you though. So I think the string you should be pulling through is the one with the yoyos weight on it. Grabbing that one has been ending me in the formation he shows. I could be wrong and grabbing the wrong string, but I think the way it works is that grabbing that string gets you one unwrap by just like dropping it and you give the slack some extra momentum to swing around that extra time. This is where I paused my practice of this trick because that second swing around was getting to me. I also found it easier to find the right string if you give the yoyo some extra force in that loop right before the pinch. There is a possibility I’ve been grabbing the wrong string but all the other ones I tried would just lead to trapeze quicker.

1 Like

Dang so I think I was going for the wrong string… :melting_face: lol let me know if you have any break throughs with the end because I think I’m having the same problems.

Feel like I’ve tried every string, and still can’t get the end bit to work.

You did everything properly in your previous clip

I think the thing you two are struggling with sounds (and looks) like you just don’t have enough string to comfortably swing it around twice. In the rotation where the slack goes over the back of your wrist and you catch it on your thumb, the size of that slack matters. The amount of string you have in that specific segment is what’s getting swung around, so if you’re only really catching a small loop of string with your thumb, you probably won’t have enough string to swing all the way around. Alternatively if you pull the formation taut at that point and extend the size of the trapeze or the segment going to your TH index, all you’re doing is making it so you have less string to actually swing around.

Notice after that wrist rotation how big the string segment I drop off my TH thumb is. I don’t pull the formation any tighter, I just keep a firm pinch on the TH index segment. I’m also pinching with my NTH index and middle, but that doesn’t really matter as much.

3 Likes

I’m more finding the slack formation is sliding shut before even trying to swing it around.

I’ll have another play around tonight.

1 Like

If it’s sliding shut I’d recommend just pinching more firmly with both your TH thumb and index, and your NTH index and middle finger. It’s not a casual/light pinch, it feels more like I’m firmly grasping the string with my TH so the formation doesn’t come undone.

If you’re in the proper formation you should just be able to drop the string off your thumb, and you should be able to just hold that position for as long as you want before swinging the slack around.

1 Like