Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

Week 47 - Sonic Game

Today is November 24th, 2023.

On November 24, 1992 the video game Sonic the Hedgehog 2 released for the Sega Genesis to universal acclaim and adoration.

So today we’re going to be learning another Roan trick, Sonic Game. Ignoring my silly explanation, I do like this trick for a couple different reasons. With one of the primary reasons being it’s another trick that ends in a trapeze, and as I’ve said in the past, I really like tricks that resolve back into core mounts so they’re easier to put into combos and your regular yoyo play. This trick also features a style of rejection that’s far more common in more advanced yoyo tricks than the typical magic drop style rejection. Lastly I think the redirect and undercut promote a nice level of timing and control over the speed of your play to do smooth.

I hope the American T-a-W enthusiasts enjoyed a pleasant Thanksgiving yesterday, and in this coming week I hope everybody enjoys learning this trick (and playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, you should do that as well). And for everybody who learned last week’s trick, thanks so much for using my tutorial! I got a lot of great feedback for how I can improve on future tutorials (PoV secondary angle for the trick is a must, as well as a higher frame rate).

15 Likes