Trick-a-Week 2023 - #52 - Control Workshop

So been bashing my head against the wall on this for an hour, and still can’t follow the beginning bit of the trick.

Everything I do (after the under cut?) seems to leave me with two wraps on my throw hand index finger. When I drop one of the wraps and pull through to make the tower, it is nothing like the picture in the video. If I continue on, and the get to the bit where I swing the string around, the throw just binds straight away. This leads me to think the beginning bit is wrong… But I can’t trouble shoot as it’s hard to tell strings apart in the video.

This is just another one of those tutorial types I struggle with :pensive:

Having a longer string than usual greatly helped me. And a wider gap.

3 Likes

Thanks for hosting this, @mable!
This was all very new to me so I’ll go for the regen bit in the future, but here’s what I got!

Edit: Annnd now with 300% more regen:

9 Likes

Nice, that was great! Slap binds are always super cool.

1 Like

I can try and help you if I could see a video of what you’re doing. After the underpass you want to curl your TH index around the string that’s connecting to the back of your NTH, the one I circled in red.

Feel free to reach out to me in DMs if you don’t want to post your attempt this thread. (This goes for anybody else who needs some help with this trick (or any future trick))

4 Likes

The thing is, I’m getting to this position with two ‘wraps’ around my index finger, not one like in this video. This is why I think the bit I’m doing beforehand is wrong… I’ll see if I can get an attempt on video tomorrow.

Edit - video link below, might be hard to see what I’m doing, but hopefully you can see what I mean by the double wrap on my index figure.

3 Likes

Looks like you land in the very front string but you need the second from the front.

2 Likes

@AKYOYOMIKE @MEJBelloz Thank you :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

There’s a pinch that happens on your TH that I think you’re missing.

pinch

2 Likes

Thanks boss! I had no idea haha

1 Like

I haven’t got my throw to hand now, but I’m sure I’m landing on the string which comes over my thumb… Landing in the gap between the two strings, I think.

2 Likes

Kray nailed your issue I think. It looks like you’re landing on the front string when you do the underpass. You’re aiming to not have the yoyo land on any string, you just want it to roll over your TH index into the empty space in the center.

4 Likes
9 Likes

Ok, so I’ve just got out of bed to check.

I’m 100% not landing on the front string and am landing in the gap. After doing this, I have two string wraps on my index finger.

I’m not sure what I’m missing that everyone else is getting - I’m really at a loss :rofl:

Read my response.

1 Like

Yep, there will be two wraps around TH index as shown, then you pinch the front/outermost one with TH thumb and index, and pull it towards you through the back/innermost one to get to the next step. So pinch and pull one wrap through the other versus fully dropping either wrap. Hope that helps, @MEJBelloz !

(If this still doesn’t address it, try to get some first-person footage with bright string for us to take a look at)

4 Likes

Possibly you are hooking the wrong string with your TH index?

Longer string surely helped!

12 Likes

Thanks everyone. Managed to crack it.

Wasn’t pinching, but also my thumb wasn’t going under the string, it was going over.

Can get some practice in and get a decent one on film.

6 Likes

I can’t get the weird double tower thing to form at all, once i pinch the string and drop the weird 2nd loop on my TH its just a tangled mess lol

edit: LOL literally right after i posted this i realized i wasn’t doing that pass over my TH correctly. got the double tower, the string flipydoo, and the ladder lookin thing. progress!

edit 2: ive hit the whole thing once, that whip is tricky. i get what im aiming for now, but i cant hit it reliably yet. hope to hit this clean on video before next week

edit 3: can someone offer some help on the whip? I cannot get a bind to happen at all. I’ve got what looks like the exact string configuration in the video, but I cant get a bind lol

5 Likes