Torching titanium tips & tricks

I wish i could add something to this, but alas, all i can do is start the topic.
Ive seen some pretty cool ti torch jobs.
What are some pointers?
How do you get the different colors? Id assume its based on how hot it gets?
What gas do you use? Has oxy/propane been tried?
Can it be removed?

10 Likes

Hahahahah @dizzo I just did this 1 hour ago!!

13 Likes

Hey there,
So I use a Propan torch for all my metal fades like SS and Ti. It takes a moment to get hot but then the colors start to transition the longer you torch. Be careful it’s just a short phase where it has nice colors. Do not over do it else you end up with some ugly fade. Starts (depending on the thickness/heat) with the lighter colors like yellow and fades to darker blue in the end.

• To test maybe get a SS rode or some other piece of SS to test with.
  • Clean very well before starting else you get strange spots.
  • Also be aware that the heat takes a bit to cool out so it will change till it’s complete cooled out.
  • there are technics with electricity which give the craziest results but I am not an expert when it comes to this (I think the hummingbird ti is done this way)
8 Likes

A polish beforehand helps it come out nice. Surface should be super clean and no touching with skin oils before torching. I used very long screws held in a drill which was clamped in a vise with nothing behind or around it that was remotely flammable. I used map gas (yellow cylinder) and extreme caution, since if anything goes wrong, like spinning the yoyo the wrong way and having a red hot half go rolling across the floor, it could burn you or the garage/house down.

The color change is determined by the temperature of different areas of the yoyo. I wanted yellow in the inner gap transitioning out to darker blue or purple at the rim, so I just focused on the rim only so as not to heat up the rest too much. The spinning took care of making it even around the circumstance, which is what I wanted.

11 Likes

Did this guy next, after speaking to @Ajolivarez who gave me a much better set of instructions! I made a video of this and put it on my YouTube. Any questions fell free to hmu.

8 Likes

Some of the ones that I have done

Ti Shutter

Ti Hawk Proto

Ti-888

To add to all the invaluable information already provided
 one thing that I do since I’m impatient as heck, is add a cool water rinse. @Kray mentioned that the metal will continue to retain heat after you lifted the torch away and it will continue to change as it cools which can affect the end result or color.
What I usually do is run it under tap water or dunk it in a bucket. If you have it mounted, maybe pouring water over it might do the trick. This will stop the heat. Now I’m not a metallurgist or even close to it, but I have done this too my last 3 yoyos and it hasn’t affected them at all- didn’t introduce vibe or crack the metal. Don’t think the metal gets hot enough or the yoyo is used in a rough enough application to warrant worry. That being said, “all the info on this thread is at your own risk!!!”

8 Likes

It will not mess with the metal
we call it “quench-ing” in Plumbing @Ajolivarez.

3 Likes

Hey, @dizzo if you wanna see me do some of these I made a few “crappy” vids. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6OWoVQ0_7hpQYyJEkgQUSg

Has anyone found out if this can be removed or if the color goes too deep?

1 Like

I have never tried

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s permanent
if there is a way I’d imagine it being so expensive it wouldn’t even be worth it
like compressing water.

1 Like

So I’ve been researching how to ano Ti and found some useful stuff. I just ordered all the stuff and will be hopefully trying it this weekend.
At least for electric ano, you can remove the color buy dipping it in acid. I would Assume the same is said for torching.

I’m going to be using “wink rust/ stain remover” as it is a diluted Hydrofluoric acid.

This maybe good advice or bad advice
 I haven’t tried it myself
 I’ll update once I ano my yoyo this weekend!

3 Likes

Someone ask @jasonwongzero, he did this one

4 Likes

I dont think Jason does torches. Pretty sure his is electrical.

1 Like

Yup! All my titanium is electrical, never used a torch. You can get a lot better colors out of Ti with the right power supply.

8 Likes

I suppose I am an electrical engineer

Perhaps I should do this properly lol

4 Likes

Grade 5 titanium has a CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) of 9.7 ”m/m-°C, at 500°C. And while a butane torch can reach temps of 1500°C, you’re still looking at a very small amount of expansion. Though I would still suspect this does (or at least CAN) introduce a small amount of vibe.

I would be more concerned about the quenching. Now, I’m much more knowledgeable about heat-treating steels, and in general if you get a piece of steel hot and then cool it very fast (quenching), it gets harder and more brittle. Apparently this isn’t the same case for titanium, as quenching it makes it SOFTER, and requires further age-hardening to achieve the desired properties.

I’d love to test this some day (someone send me a piece of grade 5 titanium stock and I will), but torching a Ti yoyo followed by water quenching will leave it softer than when it arrived. Ideally you’d heat it after quenching for an hour at ~500°C to harden it again.

2 Likes

Better stick to glass.

I can attest to this! Here is my @jasonwongzero anodized Sovereign!!! I like to take it out in the sunlight and behold it’s beauty before I throw it! Still very honored and grateful you did this for me!!!

5 Likes

:joy:
I wonder if my torch could do anything cool

2 Likes