TMBR wood weight question

So I picked up an Oak PockeHt and absolutely love it! I’m really enjoying the added weight and power that the Oak provides. The specs on the PockeHt show the Oak as considerably heavier than the Maple. I was looking at picking up a This-A-Way-That-A-Way in a hardwood and noticed that the specs show the Oak as significantly lighter than the Maple. Anyone know why this is? Was there a different type of Oak used for these or is it something else? @YoYoExpertGarrett
Does anyone have both the spectraply and the Ash or Oak and can you please compare them?

This-Way-That-Way

PockEHt

6 Likes

The weight of wood can vary greatly from piece to piece. It’s quite possible to have a dense piece of maple and a less dense piece of white oak. I once bought a piece of white oak that had a density greater than my purple heart.

Because it grows in the ground in different soils, drinking waters containing different quantities of minerals and is subjected to different weather, the same species can yield much different timber between trees.

14 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks Glen!

This reminds me of the the wood that was used to make the famous Stradivarius violins. Apparently this wood came from trees that grew during the “Little Ice Age” and were very slow growing which led to a very resonant wood that could not be duplicated.

11 Likes

That’s an awesome little fact.

3 Likes