Ti-Vayder pics thread!

Thanks, I noticed that your TiWalker looked polished, so that was very helpful. This was my first time doing anything like this, but Jake’s video made it all seem doable and was very helpful. After polishing and cleaning, I rotated the halves on a low speed drill (with the long screw for heat separation from the drill) and tried to torch just the outer edge, hoping it wouldn’t color the inner cup and gap too much. Surprisingly, it came out just like I had hoped.

3 Likes

Yes! With anodizing titanium, a polished surface will bring out brighter colors. Polish and a super clean surface will make a big difference. A textured surface will also anodize well, but it will be more matte and not as flashy. I do find that anodized titanium tend to be finger print magnets though.

2 Likes

This is true. My aurora is a fingerprint magnet compared to whatever they used for the grey tivayder

image image image

16 Likes

But how?

1 Like

Electricity, electrolytic solution, masking, and patience :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap: bravo man that’s tuff

1 Like

May I ask what you used for masking? Or is that some kind of proprietary secret?

1 Like

Hey Dust,
The splash masking can be done with nail polish or paint markers.
The varying colors are through varying the voltage rapidly while anodizing it and utilizing another tool to splotch the item while in the electrolytic solution to cause variance on the surface while the oxide layers are adhering.
The colors are a result of refraction from the oxide layers, so variance creates the almost luminescent look. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Looks really cool, good job! I’m going to do something to my raw, but most likely just with a torch.

1 Like

I see! Thanks for the reply. I didnt know you could use nail polish for masking. neat!

Great job!

1 Like

I am thinking the anodization used on the grey and black Vayders is kind of equivalent to hardcoat on alu?

1 Like

Did an acid wash and reAno today.

15 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

I know, I know, super biased… but I love the way these came out visually. Major props to FPM/yoyofriends for the machining and anodizing which was :ok_hand:

11 Likes

Timascus styled

10 Likes

IMG_20190710_205752__01

14 Likes

That Ti Mascus is absolutely amazing! I’d love one of those.

2 Likes