Thoughts on the unparalleled elevation?

Anyone played with one yet?

3 Likes

Like all UNPRLD yo-yos, they’re great. It’s stable at low RPMs, has a great weight distribution, snappy binds, has a lot of rim weight while not feeling heavy/dense like that can cause. All around great competition monometal.

4 Likes

I agree with Isaac, all UNPRLD = GUD

4 Likes

The Elevation looks like my kind of throw at first glance, but then I look at the specs and it becomes a pretty hard pass for me. Its body and gap are simply too wide for my tastes. I wish they made more yoyos like the Cog-Lite or the Reduction, but UNPRLD seems to have this thing for big, wide, heavy throws (though to be fair the Elevation is not heavy like most UNPRLDs, which is a big plus) which keeps my collection very small.

You mention gap width a lot. Some of my snappiest binding yo-yos have gaps wider than the Elevation’s. If you have that much trouble with wider gaps, try different string—not even necessarily thicker, the string material makes just as much difference.

E.g. YYSL Venom is about as thick as Type X (medium thickness), but it’s much grippier on response pads. Markmont Cirrus Foam is pretty thin, but it binds very snappy, very similar to the nearly twice as thick Cumulous Foam (same material, different thickness).

Another way to make binds snappier is using a shallower cut centering bearing. There are some very shallow V cut bearings. DS bearings are more shallow than Koncave bearings. I prefer less shallow bearings these days for string layering, but I never accept binds that are slippy.

3 Likes

I’m generally a fan of slimmer gaps so I had to check what it is; I never would have guessed it has a 4.66mm gap, it really doesn’t feel like it. I haven’t had a slippy bind with it at all and I do not use thick string, I rotate between Sochi Normal, Alpha Line, Kitty Fat First Class, and Monkey Vines (both Normal and Phat). It is wide but is still comfortable in hand, and it’s not all that much wider than the Coglite, only 1.5mm; I’ll post some comparison shots later if you’d like. I think you would enjoy it despite not landing in your preferred spec range.

2 Likes