Thoughts on PNWR 2023 Results?

Didn’t see a thread on this, so I thought I’d start! I still can’t believe Hunter got 1st. I’m fairly new, but I think its incredibly impressive to beat Evan Nagao, especially at 18? 19? Nagao’s behind-the-head DNA was also super fun to see in a competition. It was also great to see Angelo Aguirre in the competition! What do y’all think?

10 Likes

These kids are built different bro… their progression is quicker than any generation of throwers before them, it’s nuts to watch.

You can tell Hunter has been putting in the WORK lately though, forreal. Super proud of him. Him, Kris, Blaise, and Justin are gonna be the ones to watch on the National and World stages pretty soon (and they kinda already are - look at how high they’re placing in the contests they compete in).

9 Likes

I think Chen Yang should have at least placed. That’s my only complaint. That fricken half-flop transition into zontals was officially insane. I do think that Hunter deserved the win though.

4 Likes

I loved his routine, it was beautiful and almost “art-like,” if I could describe it. You can tell he took it really seriously.

But that yoyo change out cost him majorly. When competition is that fierce, it’s hard to place with a changeout even if your routine up until that point was incredible.

4 Likes

I totally agree that the change out definitely was a big deal

BUT THE FLOP

I don’t know if anyone’s ever even done that before like that. That being said he did definitely goof a couple times in the routine so I guess I should just yield to the judges.

But still… that flop tho

2 Likes

Honestly I gotta sit down and watch the whole livestream later, just to see everything I missed

1 Like

Hunter took the well deserved dub. It just hurts to see how a switch ruined Chen Yang’s placement. The ending trick was one of the greatest ending tricks I have ever seen.

3 Likes

I can’t give too much of an opinion on results since I’m still pretty green to comps and what not, but like I said in another thread I thought Drake Bogataj had a nasty routine personally, and I really enjoyed West Way’s as well. Awesome to see some diversity and him doing his routine to country music rather than the normal edm/hip hop playlists.

1 Like

Competitors leveled up this year, saw some really great freestyles. I watched Hunter win AZ states and knew he was going to make a big impact at nationals this year, so I’m excited to see his progress going forward.

2 Likes

Popped this on for a second to try to find that Chen Yang performance and it was sick and also +10 to Adrian Velez for showmanship I watched that and that performance elevated the trick at 5h48m50s and made it look dope! Way more of a performance than the stompy or like pausey yoyo movements so cool I’ll watch more later. In general the stream seems to skip like crazy and people seem to be tricking off camera so it missed a lot and is hard to watch which is a drag. Also shout out to everyone naming people in the live chat because that makes it easy to skip around.

3 Likes

It seems comps being down the last couple of years left a lot of time for practice for this year. And I honestly chalk up the speed of progression with the new generation of players to better equipment and a couple years of being stuck inside.

2 Likes

Hunter really put together a flawless routine. So impressive. Congratulations to all the competitors.

Next level stuff!!

2 Likes

Yeah, hunter killed it! For X division, i think Aliyah should have placed higher. I’m bias, as it was my favorite freestyle of the whole comp, but her tricks are insane.

7 Likes

I thought you shoulda placed better too, I’m ignorant when it comes to knowing how scoring works but it looked good to me bro!

2 Likes

Loved all the routines, prelims were super tense because there were so many good players. Hunter did amazing! Apart from that, my fav routine was Chen Yang, and I’m sad he had the discard. Adrian’s routine was also really cool.

2 Likes