Thoughts about wide yoyos?

I haven’t played for a while and feeling like i need something wide to land tricks easier. So do wide yoyos have any disadvantages while playing? Right now I’m looking at C3 GalaxyDiver 7075 v2, is it any good?

5 Likes

Buy a 5050 as well.

Someone else can help with your questions better than me.

5 Likes

I’m with kretzschmar on both points. Get a 5050 and I don’t know much else.

3 Likes

I don’t like wide yoyos I prefer a tad bit on the narrow side I just find tricks easier to land without too much width

2 Likes

I hAve tried the galaxy diver. I don’t like how tight the response system is and It could be less heavy playing

2 Likes

The assassin also looks epic

4 Likes

I don’t have the Galaxy DIver, but if you were to look at my everyday most used throws, you would see a common theme. I honestly think wide yoyos are a personal preference, but in theory, if a yoyo is wide with a flared-out shape and a large trapeze width, tricks should be easier to land. This being said, the Galaxy Diver seems to qualify for all the things I have said. I think if you do a lot of tech, wide yoyos may be troublesome, but for meta, slack, whips, and hops, I find wide yoyos great!

4 Likes

I’ll third the 5050 recommendation! One of my favorite yoyos period. Also take a look at picking up a CLYW Akita second hand if you can, that’s a wide boi with a little more performance.

5 Likes

The Galaxy Diver is fantastic, but the 5050 seems like a weird choice for just “I want to land tricks easier.” It seems like a really fun yoyo, just doesn’t strike me as something that would get recommended for performance related reasons considering the diameter and weight.

The Galaxy Diver is great, it feels noticeably wider than the Akita in play, and has a bit more power. The wider gap of the Galaxy Diver will also be a bit nicer on more meta/dense tricks if you don’t plan on getting summer tires or recessing the response of the Akita. The Akita is one of my most played yoyos though, so if the specs do seem good for you, I absolutely love mine.

Galaxy Diver would be my go to recommendation, but if you want something even wider you could grab a Neo Master Galaxy. The disadvantage of wide yoyos is that for tech-heavy players the extra width can get in the way, and also wider yoyos are less stable inherently because of the extra width. Don’t conflate that as wide yoyos being unstable though. I think the differences are pretty negligible for most players, and the extra width is just greatly appreciated for landing tricks.

4 Likes

5050 is a good choice to see if you actually like wide yoyos since it’s pretty cheap, but performance wise the galaxy dover series will be better.

I’ll throw in a recommendation for edge/iq series too. OG Edge was my first wider yoyo and is still one of my favorite bimetals.

8 Likes

Width doesn’t exactly increase the gap or landing zone

Something like a pure v shape such as the krown st 7068 I feel gives you plenty of landing space and performance without being super wide

3 Likes

I like the OD Legendary Terrarian when I’m in the mood for a wide boi. It’s basically all catch zone and is such a pleasure to throw.

4 Likes

As far as my personal preference goes, (that happens to be wide) I love the MK1 Exia.

1 Like

YoyoFactory IQ. Its wide, its stable, its fast, and best of all its super fun to play. Quickly becoming one of my favorite yoyos period.

I have a 5050 and its also a current favorite, but I dont reach for it to learn tricks. The width does make things easier to hit though.

3 Likes

I also love my Legendarian, it really is all catch zone lol

2 Likes

Actually I didn’t notice GalaxyDiver is almost 50mm wide (like 5050) but 5050 has got less diameter which makes it look pretty awkward for me. Does diameter do anything or it’s just how it fits in your hand? Also any thoughts about Time Jacker and it’s diameter?

2 Likes

First a question.

Do you need more than a Silenus, Summit, or C3 is offering you? Unless you sold those off, I can’t imagine needing a bigger catch zone than any of those three throws you own.

Just my personal opinion about wide yoyos:

I truly don’t think the width matters if your intent is to buy something with a large catch zone. I feel like once you step past 46~mm, you’re stepping into wide yoyos that are preference based where that width starts affecting how it feels and plays.

I think about Yoshicuda’s design, which is similar to the concept of Takeshi’s signatures. 43mm, but has a large catch zone from it’s W shape. It’s the “deception of wide” in a slimmer yoyo that works for me.

The same concept applies to the MMC. It always gives me the confidence that I can land anything because of how big the catch zone is - but it’s at 45mm.

If you do think you need more of a catch zone, I would look for a Haymaker Beta (mono), Shutter Wide Angle, or pick up the C3 you’re looking at (really any C3). I never measured my Haymaker Beta, but I’m going to say that it had a catch zone of 35mm+ which was massive to me.

1 Like

No idea about the Time Jacker

I honestly had the same concerns on the 5050 (diameter) and it blew me away

2 Likes

I moved from Ukraine, don’t have any yoyos here :confused: As i said before, i haven’t played for a while so i was wondering if i need something bigger to restore my skills and land tricks easier. Silenus and K’edge fully covered my needs so i think i will go for Silenus for now and maybe will pick something wider. Thank you all for advices :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A wide yo-yo makes SOME things easier, not all. Mostly people have them for a change, not to improve. I picked up a CLYW Manatee off the BST, that’s my widest yo-yo, and a lot of fun.

2 Likes