Thoughts about wide yoyos?

Glad to have you back, hope everything is safe and well with you during these crazy times.

If you want wider, go for it - but if not, I agree with the Silenus choice.

1 Like

Time jacker is great wasnt too wide. I prefer a heavy throw and a bit wide but not atlas wide

When I first started playing the Legendary Terrarian I had only been throwing for about 6 months, and I found it pretty challenging to do anything. It’s now been almost exactly 2 years since I got it, and I find it quite a bit easier. I switched out the spikes for ultralights, and its quite a bit more stable. But at first I did not find it made tricks easier. For me the horizon made learning tricks easier. The Horizon has a larger diameter, but isn’t super wide.

2 Likes

So I tend to love wide throws, specially wide Bimetals, here’s my take.

Wide yo-yos are great for meta and big slack catches, but will ultimately impede your tech flow unless you’re just used to moving around the extra width of the yo-yo, like some players (most pros) do!

I tend to like wide yo-yos for the heavy rim weighted feel, which typically provides the design of the yo-yo to expand the weight from the center of the yo-yo, while not quite packing it ALL on the rim.

The c3 vanitas is one of the widest, best performing yo-yos imo. Depending on your preferences of course. It’s light, it’s floaty, it’s graceful in the air and can crush all your speed combos. Yet it’s still powerful on a throw and provides insane stability and spin time. I haven’t seen anything like it. Playing with it feels like playing with a feather. Sometimes it gets a little out of control if you aren’t paying attention, which leads me to my next point.

Wide throws that still have some heft on the string, and why I like these. Think Galaxy diver. Very wide, lots of trap width (more on that in a moment), but ultimately has a very solid presence on the string and is a little more reluctant than the vanitas. Depending on which diver you pick up, the okay differs some between the 4/5 divers there are. Not including the dinosaur.

I’ve had the privilege of owning 3 different divers.

6061-the quickest moving and medium weight on string and in hand.
7075-the heaviest feeling in every sense of the word. Still can love quick, but really just wanted to chill and go slow.
7075v2- medium speed with lightest string feel my fav of the 3.

That’s more just bc you asked about the diver and I have some experience with them.

But the more solid feeling wide yo-yos tend to be really good yo-yos for building routine or learning new tricks, where as the light fast throws will help you be fast once you’ve honed them. But then again, if you prefer a lighter feel just for learning new tricks but still want something powerful enough, go vanitas or even a little thinner would be the unprld nostalgia (decent string weight, v powerful, very controllable) or time jacker like you were asking about.

Sorry for the jumbled mess of a response, I have too much to say about yo-yos and the way they play and how to find the right yo-yo based off what you’re looking for. It’s my fav game haha.

4 Likes

I love wider yoyos. There’s just something in them I like. Granted I mostly do 5A and width really helps, but wide yoyos just hit the spot for me. Sure they’re not great for tech tricks, but one gets used to the width after some time.

1 Like

C3’s diver series is amazing, feel free to pick one up with confidence that you’re getting a good yoyo. I also highly rec their Hybrids.

1 Like

I love narrow unresponsive yoyos, things like the YYWS Capstan 22 and the Panorama just hit a sweet spot for me. With that said, the Legendary Terrarian has been in my hands non stop and it’s encouraged me to learn some new tricks, as the spin time, stability, and forgiveness just makes learning plain easier. Thats a huge testament to the capability a wide yoyo gives you, but you all already knew that :joy:

2 Likes

I have a superwide MK1 umbra - 55 mm wide. I only use it occasionally.
Great for working on whips and stuff where you want to hit the string. The downside is trying to clear a tight spot. It can help leqrning kwijibo, but spirit bomb its more a hindrance. Its nice to have the option, but inwouldnt want it as my only throw.

2 Likes