The same yo-yo in plastic, metal, and bimetal?

I think every “reasonable” person would understand what was meant :wink:

Remember the old supreme court statement about “I know it when I see it?”

4 Likes

The context for Justice Stewart’s statement isn’t even remotely comparable to a discussion of performance parameters in an engineered product.

1 Like

Right, but “reasonable trick routine” is, hence my statement.

1 Like

“Reasonable trick routine” is not a useful metric since it has no single, unchanging definition that can serve as a design and engineering goal. It is, by nature, a moving (and highly subjective) target that denies makers the luxury of resting on their laurels.

2 Likes

That was 2015? Oh gosh…

2 Likes

I want to try the metal Replay. Not a huge fan of the plastic and the metal is slightly smaller.

2 Likes

Good luck, it was a limited 2015 mystery box only item per the above. I bought the first one I saw come up on any B/S/T in quite some time, same strategy I took with the Shu-Ta 2.

3 Likes

Kuntosh time! Like with the other One Drops, I removed the side effects and bearing and measured just the halves individually.

7075 QV
29.64g, 29.58g = 59.22g

7075 QV
29.67g, 29.72g = 59.39g

7075 QV hardcoat
30.10g, 30.04g = 60.14g

6061 Kuntosh
30.33g, 30.32g = 60.65g

Bucking the trend here. 7075 should be heavier, so they tweaked it to be almost the same weight, even a tad lighter.

2 Likes

Plastic Wedge (glitter, full C bearing)
66.68g

Plastic Wedge (half-spec C bearing)
66.23g

Delrin Wedge
67.54g

Weighed without string, but with bearing and axle.

IMG_7524

IMG_7525

As far as differences… definitely fatter rims on the plastic (only in horizontal width, the parts extending down on the outer cup are the same exact diameter), but where the plastic rims stay perfectly flat on the outside, the delrin outer edges cant distinctily inward. Clearly delrin is denser, stronger, heavier. Overall these two are quite similar, diameter and width are 100% identical, but the angle inward toward the bearing is necessarily a steeper angle on the plastic because of the fatter horizontal width of the rim on each side.

There’s another difference between the two plastics, the aluminum hub on the transparent one has bolt-like hexagonal sides attaching it to the plastic whereas the gold glitter hub is a circle with serrated edges.

I don’t have a monometal Edge but if I get one I’ll compare it as well!

4 Likes

In today’s thrilling episode :scream:

That’s right… it’s LINKX time, people!

We have poly hybrid, nylon, and poly. I measured with bearing but without string.

• “premium” → 63.62g (YYE says 63.75g)
  • nylon → 59.00g (YYE says 58.64g)
  • poly → 62.13g (YYE says 61.7g)

(note that my poly LinkX is set up responsive, with a slim C bearing, so we should probably add about half a gram to that one.)

I’m still mystified as to why the weight for the premium version was kept in the central hub. Usually for hybrids they put weight rings on the outside :laughing:. I can’t see any difference in the shape or width other than the metal center. So yeah, Premium LinkX plays like a slightly more center weighted, heavier LinkX. It is less heavy than I thought it’d be though, basically +1.5g?

I don’t mean to come across as negative, I like the LINKX, that’s why I have three of them … honestly I think it’s a better overall shape in plastic than the Wedge… come at me, bro! :fist:

6 Likes

Those replays are beautiful.

2 Likes

Yo i can’t believe nobody has mentioned YoyoFactory’s Dream line of yoyos that was based off this exact same question, How would the same shape play when designed with different materials. Here we have the Aluminum Dream, the Nightmare (Bimetal) and the Titanium Dream.

dream

The only specs that differ are weight:

• Al: 64.9 g.
  • Bi: 64 g.
  • Ti: 65.3 g.

The design differences of each material are very clear here. Al has beefier rims than Bi and Ti. It’s interesting to see that all of these use the same axle lenght and the same nipple for the axle. I would love to see a cross section of this yoyos.

Also, the engraving on the Nightmare is lovely.

9 Likes

OMG I didn’t get the dream → nightmare connection at all! :scream: That’s fantastic!

9 Likes

Gamma Crash, Atomic Crash, Mega Crash, Strelitzia are the same series

also iCEBERG and Steel
and HiDRA, TiRROX, TiSSOX, FiRROX, Air Dive.

7 Likes

I mentioned the Firrox / Hidra set up there but I didn’t know that the Air Dive was the same shape, that is pretty cool.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Day Dream also. It is larger than its counterparts, but still the same shape and series.

4 Likes

Recess Joyride and plastic Joyride (First Base)!

63.44g vs 65.72g without string.

Definitely same exact shape and size, though the fingerspin dimple is missing on the plastic.

7 Likes

There was a finger spin first base, it was purple.

4 Likes

Finally! 2018 Banshee in 7075 vs 2018 Banshee in 6061!

Measured without string as usual, of course – I would assume same “boss rage” bearing and axle since they’re both from the ineffable Jake Factory

6061 – 65.24g
7075 – 67.40g

… by about 2 grams. Proven with the science! :man_scientist:

7 Likes

What I really love about 6061 is that it’s slightly less resistant to dings.

3 Likes