The "I Finally Landed It!" Thread

whip kamikaze mount…pretty fun once it clicks

Thanks! That’s the plan.

Country lasso!!! xD xD xD

That second whip is tough, gonna take a little while before I can do it consistently

I also got kwyjibo down today, but that seems secondary :stuck_out_tongue:

havent been practicing this for about half a year  for fear of dinging stuff

Fixed axle gyro flop.

All the 5a stuff on YYE

2 consecutive horizontal 1.5 rejections

Got Matrix pretty smooth now, and I have learned to hit Ninja Vanish. :slight_smile:

I can get through 99% of the trick “Branding” which basically involves working with a 1.5 mount and within 15 minute break time and practicing I am almost pretty smooth with it. Only part that’s killing me (no pun intended) is the ending suicide maneuver getting you back into that strange 1.5 mount.

I did however land Skin the Gerbil earlier as frustrating as that simple trick can get…have to realize that it’s actually a good trick for working on keeping hands aligned and parallel with each other.

I’ve put yoyoing on a break for a while now but recently got re-inspired to learn again. I’m not sure what sparked my motivation but I’m wanting to learn new stuff rather than being stuck in this rut I was in for the past year or so. Landing some new tricks definitely kicks the motivation in high gear and eager to learn new stuff!

Now to get through part 2 of Yukki Slack, which I’m having the toughest time with :slight_smile:

It shouldn’t be a strange 1.5 mount, it should be a 1.5 mount. It’s such an easy trick and i see so many people doing it wrong and making it 10x harder on themselves. Like Brett/IbanezRules would do it in such a ridiculous way i have no idea what he was doing. Just make sure both strings are going over your pointer finger before the suicide and you’re good to go. Now learn Branding Gnidnarb which is a great branding repeater.

I think I’ve landed the suicide right from the first try with this simple technique:

Open the suicide loop with your non-throwhand, but open it so that the loop is parallel to the floor. Ie. you look down into the loop, not straight through it. As you’re opening it up, the string segments going over your TH finger are naturally also going to be spread apart from one another.

Whip the loop with enough speed, and as you do it, your NTH pointer finger points DOWN. You whip the loop onto your downward-pointing finger, basically. You don’t have to poke “into” a suicide loop as it’s coming around.

Is it cheating? Maybe. But just as I don’t get any value out of doing a true laceration (poking finger into the loop once it’s in the gap and not just undercutting the yoyo so that it falls down onto the string) I don’t get any value out of doing a “true” suicide laceration here. Just whip onto that finger, look rad to your audience, and move on. :wink:

I have boinged!

Boingy-boing eluded me for a while, I just ended up either killing the motion or shooting it off to the side. Earlier this week it just clicked.

Skin the Gerbil is a right b*****rd, though.

Trapeze stall to Double or Nothing Stall, finally! Too bad round 1 of the Fixed Axle Challenge is over with :slight_smile:

A little sketch, had a better/perfect one when I didn’t have the camera rolling :slight_smile:

Horizontal suicide ;D (Ok, fine, 45 degrees suicide)

My Ninja Vanished!

2 Likes

I actually landed it today, was holding my loop laying in the wrong direction. I had been spreading the loop open but laying it flat as I saw on another site’s tutorial, holding the loop vertically works lot better :slight_smile:

So with this said it was a successful and exciting 15 minute break from an otherwise another typical work day…

Holding it flat sounds like another way to describe what I think of as the “no brainer” method. The physics support the flat method working more reliably, but hey… whatever works!

As for me, finally landed a few smooth-ish reps of Rojas’ “Infinity”. It’s way trickier than it looks if you’ve never done that particular kind of motion before (which I haven’t).

Hey does anyone have any great techy tricks that have sprung up in the past few months? Preferably with good tutorials? Thanks!

Landed a few tricks over the weekend: first one was Magic Drop. Many times though I still have difficulty getting that rejection to happen, I know it all lies in the angle of my throw hand L-shape. Found keeping it straight up helps. Now to learn Shockwave!

Other trick was doing a kickflip (a stalled suicide that rotates on a different axis for those who don’t play fixed axle) on the fixed axle woodie. I just need to remember to flip it slow and smoothly for it to work. I’m getting better at landing stalls too, but needed some tuning on my yoyo. I’m throwing both a No Jive 3-in-1 Classic Optic Star (May have made a somewhat wrong choice as far as the version goes as it’s primarily designed to be imperial shape…though the artwork inside acts as a possible response system), and a TMBR Baldwin which I found to be not responsive enough; did not quite have that snap like I wanted. In another thread one mentioned dabbing some flowable into the 4 little holes and I did just that. Some excess got on the walls making it really slick…making it really difficult. Ended up taking some light sandpaper once it cured to shave off that smooth coat back to the raw wood and it works perfect!

Fixed axle suicide (caught with my middle finger but oh well… I’ll get it perfect sometime soon).