The great circle route

I love our postal service and wish them all the best and want them to succeed, but sometimes I have to wonder if some of their problems are not self inflicted. A health care provider associated with my insurance company recently sent me (unsolicited) a Samsung smart watch that enabled me to contact them at any time as well as monitor my heart rate and step count through out the day and periodically send it to them. I called them and said I was not interested in participating in the program for a number of reasons and to send me a prepaid return mailer. The return mailer had a tracking number which I monitored to see when the package was delivered since they were adamant that it be returned ASAP.

So below is the route for a package to be delivered to a location 9.7 miles from the post office I used.

July 29, 2020, 1:58 pm
USPS in possession of item
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

July 30, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

July 30, 2020, 5:19 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

July 30, 2020, 8:17 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

July 31, 2020, 2:02 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
SAINT PAUL, MN

July 31, 2020, 10:41 am
Departed USPS Facility
SAINT PAUL, MN
Your item departed our USPS facility in SAINT PAUL, MN on July 31, 2020 at 10:41 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
(the final destination location is 9.7 miles from the original post office)

For a total of 518 miles, 7 hr, 45 min. estimated travel time (google maps).

I’m somewhat at a loss for words.

As for my insurance company, they are getting a note expressing my thoughts on enrolling me in a program to track my daily activities without asking if I was interested in the first place. I found it very disconcerting. I also think step counting is a bogus indication of exercise activity. I have an exercise routine that I follow on a regular schedule that is far superior to a smart watch.

5 Likes

I currently have a yoyo coming from Texas. It started its journey July 23. Tracking said it would arrive on the 27th. The package camped out in San Antonio for a couple days. On the 27th it arrived at the facility in Anchorage, Alaska. It finally left Anchorage on the 29th to “next facility.” Current status today, the 31st, is: In Transit, Arriving Late. I forgot to mention…I live in Wisconsin. After 8 days of traveling that yoyo is somehow roughly 2,000 miles farther away from me than when it started.

Obviously my tracking story is an “oops” rather than the standard operating procedure like the MN to IA back to MN, but I just had to share it as it’s been somewhat frustrating waiting for it haha.

4 Likes

Wow, the thing hasn’t been delivered yet…

July 31, 2020, 10:04 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
MINNEAPOLIS MN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in MINNEAPOLIS MN DISTRIBUTION CENTER on July 31, 2020 at 10:04 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

The header earlier said it would be delivered by 8 PM today. This is unreal.

4 Likes

i have a yoyo that shipped from sanfran on 7/23, and was scheduled to arrived on 7/27. it toured around california until it left LA on 7/31 and it is currently in texas

2 Likes

The saga continues…

August 1, 2020, 7:10 pm
Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416
We attempted to deliver your package at 7:10 pm on August 1, 2020 in MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416 but could not access the delivery location. We will redeliver on the next business day.

Duh!!! It’s a commercial business. How do you expect they would be open at 7:10 PM on a Saturday nite

August 1, 2020, 7:10 am
Out for Delivery
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416

August 1, 2020, 4:20 am
Arrived at Post Office
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416

August 1, 2020, 4:01 am
Departed USPS Facility
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55442

August 1, 2020, 3:44 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416

August 1, 2020, 3:33 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
MINNEAPOLIS MN DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Oh well, it’s a merchandise return on their nickle. Not really my concern. Just found it rather interesting (and funny)… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I’m not one for OMG but…OMG! It almost made me dizzy with how much around and around that package has endured. Thankfully it was not yoyo-related.

1 Like

Finally delivered today, 6 days later…

August 3, 2020, 10:16 am
Delivered, In/At Mailbox
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416
Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 10:16 am on August 3, 2020 in MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55416.

3 Likes

Must be the day for deliveries! My yoyo finally arrived today as well. Texas to Alaska to Minnesota and then finally Wisconsin.

1 Like

I’ve had this happen with FedEx when ordering music equipment. Connecticut to Ohio, back to Connecticut, back to Ohio, down to Tennessee, up to Kentucky, back to Tennessee, and back up to Kentucky.

What is worse is when the local FedEx delivery man wants the evening off and just marks everything as undeliverable. That happened to me two days in a row and I finally had to file a complaint.

2 Likes