The Fixed Axle Megathread of Awesomeness

It not a matter of what I’m comfortable with. The reason I ask is because I don’t see an actual fixed axle butterfly for sale here, only the XT which has a bearing.

Most of us are talking about the Original. World’s #1. Butterfly. :smiley:

The fixed-axle one. You should be able to find them locally, as that’s one of the few yoyos you can actually find anywhere. They even had some at the Michael’s craft store in the impulse purchase bins. $5 of joy right there!

Still failing on Shoot the Moon, but I can feel how it’s “supposed” to go, so it’s only a matter of time…

1 Like

I’ve been working on:

• Protrusion - All boings are great until I pop back up to the upper boings, then I lose it.
  • Chopsticks Wong Jensen - This was one of my first chopsticks tricks, but hadn’t tried them on fixed yet.
  • Suicides - I made sort of a repeater that I can get into a rhythm even after I miss to keep it going but when I land them I’m too excited to doing anything after. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t pull off protrusion with the Baldwin at all. Soon as I boing once I get response. I have to use the Turner. Baldwin handles the rest fine so far. The extra weight on the Turner makes the difference for now. My protrusion isn’t nearly as practiced as a lot of other tricks I do so I lack accuracy.

Posted this in another section, but is more relevant here.

YoYo: Duncan Imperial right outta da package  ;D
Trick: Brent stole (inverted cross arm)

I picked up a Butterfly and Imperial original today (obviously ^). I had to go to almost 10 stores to find them. Finally I found them at K-Mart. A little disappointed that the gap is pretty crooked on the Butterfly right out of the package and it wasn’t damaged. Its not as smooth as the Imperial which has a pretty even gap, but no big whoop.

So far I much prefer the Imperial over the Butterfly. Probably only because it is harder and feels cooler to land tricks on it but whatevs.

I also filmed another video with my Freemont last night and posted it in the Wood is Good thread, but what the heck. Both are fixed and fixies don’t discriminate. If you want to see it, you can look at the vids in my channel via the above video or visit the Wood is Good thread. It is filled with kickflip suicides, regular stall suicide, neck stall, and fails.  ;D

1 Like

Why weren’t you doing a happy dance after landing that?

I was upset it didn’t land the first time like I had envisioned. Instead it stalled and flopped. :smiley:

That really made me laugh :slight_smile: I think we all do that. Imagine awesomeness and get, well, what we get.

You guys make me wish my time wasn’t spread so thin and my interests so varied. You do craziness. It’s inspiring.

1 Like

It’s easy to fix that. Pry it apart, adjust gap width and starbursts to your preferences, then superglue it together, but evenly. If you really want to be a smoothness nut, you can rotate the sides to find the sweet spot before gluing.

1 Like

I gave you a thank you for this post, but wanted to post it as well. I appreciate your feedback! I always go back and forth whether or not to post videos.

Thank you for saying this! Why didn’t I think of that?

I ended up doing a bit more modding so that I can make the gap smaller because stock I was really struggling to get it to return. I cut a whole in the cap to let the axle stick through further, and cut some material out of the area where the axle sits, and roughed up the inner wall area to make it even more responsive.

Now it plays like a dream and is my 2nd favorite yoyo after the TMBR Fremont. Wow. Can’t believe it plays this well! I’m definitely getting more of these to mod. I love the weight of these.

I sometimes forget how nice Butterflies can be. Im
Always giving mine away. Sometimes you get a bad one, mostly they’re decent.

1 Like

Really? I had to adjust my butterfly to be a bit less responsive. The variation between butterflies must be huge. Or you like really responsive yoyos.

Most of my Butterflys end up with a larger gap and an oak axle. Stock Butterfly on the middle.
http://i.imgur.com/Lo2rROD.jpg

1 Like

How does that effect the responsiveness? And, where do you get those oak axles? And, should we make a separate thread for Butterfly modding?

They are at least as responsive as the stock ones, maybe more. I think the friction from the wood makes up for the larger gap. The oak axles are just cut off of a piece of 1/4" dowel. I bought a 4 foot piece, probably still have 3 feet left.

Maybe a thread in the modding section ;).

1 Like

So you totally replace the axle with the wood. But, what are the advantages to that? Are sleep times increased or decreased? And, does a wood axle make string tension more directly affect response?

Sleep times are increased. For me, the wooden axle gives a more even response and makes string tension less important.

I’m going to have to try that…

Would Kevlar sting work on a wooden fixed axle? It’s nice and durable, right?

those oak axles are nutty! i’d love to try one. i pretty much never mod my butterflies, apart from a little glue when they fly apart. some are definitely better than others, but man, when you get a good one…

did everybody see this fixed axle exit 8 that takeshi made? holy smokes!
http://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws.com/2709a26e083111e393e422000aaa088d_7.jpg

Haha, that’s great!

I have a few wooden “axle sleeves” from forum member mrcnja, and they’re really neat to put into c-bearing unresponsive yoyos.

Hucking around a Code 2 as a fixed-axle yoyo is hilarious good fun. :wink:

How long does it take to burn through a wooden axle?