The Fixed Axle Megathread of Awesomeness

Extremely awesome.

Your fixed axle play has really inspired me, Drew!

First off, a huge huge huge Thank You to Drew and Ed. Both of your posts truly meant a lot and I’ve finally had the time to pick up my fixie and give it some thought. Been giving stalls and tricks starting from stalls the most though, primarily kickflip. I’ve found a right sidewinder (of my quality) to be good to try around 5-10 kickflips. I’ve kept a much closer eye on overall string tension, and I think it is coming together a little.

As for response before the silicone was put in, I found it to be quite loose and unreliable. My LoveJoy was favored over my Baldwin, but even after siliconing my Baldwin I couldn’t seem to get its the response the way I would like it. This was originally a thing I had tested when there was a fixed axle thread in the General Discussion Board which still appears to be puttering along. Personally, I believe the silicone adds the slightest bit of response with a tighter, more consistent feel to it. Originally I thought it would amount to something like adding a used friction sticker to the inside. Since I didn’t have any on hand, I gave it a shot. :wink:

I had my wisdom teeth removed with force, therefor I have no wisdom.

I do have a vid with a few more tricks that a few maybe want to see. Hopefully that will suffice.  :wink:

Very cool stuff SloppyBinds. Keep up the awesome work.

it’s friday!
… and i’m glad, because i spent WAY too much time trying to hit this stuff this week.

3 Likes

@yooldman Thanks!

@Ed My daughter and I both cheered when you landed the full archery kickflip and both laughed out loud when you snuck in the thumb and made the funny face with crazy hair. :smiley: Gonna try and learn that insta archery stall for sure. ;D

thanks dude. that tower trick of yours is no slouch either. good stuff!

Woah…

Just started throwing my butterfly today. Im able to land a few stalls and regens so far. I ordered an O.U.T. Just For Fun today as well. I have a feeling this fixie training will improve my 1A game.

Working on kick flips and such with my Duncan tournament.

You’re gonna love the JFF ;D

DARE I PRESS AND USE MY NEW FANGLED POWERS…

Thanks, Ed!

Managed to capture a couple of tricks on camera this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1JdqmSzxT4

Nice, yooldman! The fly buzzing in the soundtrack was lol. My dogs came into the room looking for it. =P

really fun horizontal move. http://yoyonews.com/2013/11/22/fixed-friday-ufo-recaptures/

hey gang! sorry it’s been a bit. but i do bring good tidings!

this is what i would consider my “fixed axle fundamentals”, favorites old & new that make up the majority of my fixed axle play. lots more writing & cross-referenced links here: http://yoyonews.com/2013/12/21/fixed-friday-learn/ hope that somebody learns something!

Nice stuff as always Drew. Maybe I can get the rest of the fundamentals down over Christmas vacation. Thanks to you and Ed I have made a good start on them.

I’ve been working on Kwijibo Flips today. It has really made me realize how uncoordinated I am ;).

Great video, Drew. I can see some of that going into slo-mo bideo mode on repeat for me. :smiley:

Drew,

Thanks for the Fixed Axle Fundamentals. I’ve been wanting something like this to get started. You and Ed have been a real inspiration.