The evolution of the yoyo shape

No…

Is there something I’m missing?

1 Like

To me, a pure V is a straight 45-ish degree line directly to the edge of the yo-yo. Anything else is a bit of a hybrid. There’s plenty of V hybrids out there.

Example V + W, V + H, V + O

image image image

So, just an observation here. It seems to me like the term “O” and organic are not entirely interchangeable. An “O” is an organic, but not every organic is an “O”. The term organic usually implies that something has natural curves, no sharp angles and more flowy overall peofile; or in other words, organic has more to do with the hybridization of shapes.

Like, the Top Deck is an “organic H”.

Screenshot_20180828-084250

And the 420 is an “organic W”

Screenshot_20180828-084649
So the Shutter, does not actually incorporate the “O” profile, but it does utilize organic curvature to smooth out a lot of those hard angles. Just my two cents :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, this is pretty much what happened I got “serious” when the shift from responsive to unresponsive was happening, but grew up with fixed axle.

I think what you said about undersized is true but for just one reason, and that is you have to be on top of your you skills to play with an undersized throw, which is the appeal for me… Hitting a trick with my 66 Shutter is much more satisfying than with a full sized one, not to mention the portability.

I think undersized is the next book waiting to happen…if they were appreciated by more players.

I agree, when a National Master and owner of the best yoyo store in the history of yoyos is making distinctions I pay attention, and respect what’s being said.

This is like watching your parents fight

You do know that /s means sarcasm, right? I’m just being silly, that’s all

Heheh…I wasn’t referring to you! :smile:

1 Like

I could do one, but very briefly,Sb 2(ball bearings introduced to the mainstream and friction stickers) Duncan Wheels, Playmaxx Bumblebee (further friction stickers innovating), Superyo Renegade, Freehand 1(the Duncan Wheels mod already modded out of the box), Lyn Fury, Hitman, Convict/Xconvict, Dark Magic…most of the 90’s to early 2000’s to be brief.

1 Like

@zslane Lol, wasn’t sure. I just got to thinking that maybe that looked really bad outside of that sarcastic context.

Pedro Flores was the SPARK though.:wink:

I got a mini 66 shutter, almost got a titanium one, and NOW I want to FINALLY get a full sized one to see how it plays, I got a replay pro so yeah I think I will get one.

There are still 3 levels of yoyoing, beginner, intermediate and advanced and 4 levels if you add a expert/pro bracket that I have straddled for years, the tricks do kinda get harder every year, so that criteria for the different categories is ever evolving.

Oxygene and One Drop and Yoyofactory are the first that I can remember, sometime in the 2000’s.

Lets revive this thread. I found it really enjoyable reading this whole thread- yet nobody has made a final conclusion.

I don’t think there’s a conclusion to be made. The style of yoyo shapes will continue to evolve, and there will only be more options to choose from in the future, not less.

2 Likes