The Desire for Old Yoyos

Nah, this is not a problem. On a contrary, a huge source of income :smiley:

1 Like

Hey, i resent that, Camrys are nice cars and very reliable.

2 Likes

I jus saw one not to long ago on the facebook bst

1 Like

Very well put. I started playing in the 90s and something about a Yomega Fireball just brings back fond memories. Loop720 is great and all but isn’t the same.

1 Like

Not sure if this was already said, but the true reason is because people love the feeling of owning something “unique and rare”. That’s what people are alluding to when they say a yoyo has a “soul”, it just means it’s rare.

There’s also the fact that collectors set the yoyo market. If collectors are looking to pay a high price for a certain yoyo, others will soon follow, and soon that yoyo which is often not that great of a throw, will become sought after.

3 Likes

While I agree that people love owning rare things I think it is more than just that for most sought after yo-yos. I have collected multiple things including retro games, action figures and yo-yos. With this I think I can speak on the rare love aspect. I have owned video games worth several hundred dollars and decided to sell them because of no attachment.

I can’t sell my sealed yoda figure though because my mom found it. The sentimental attachment is too high. I don’t think sentimental attachment is what drives the high prices on yo-yos overall.

I think these rare old throws each bring something special to the table that makes them worth so much. Maybe a great ano, a story, or a unique shape. Every throw holding value over $100 I have thrown has something making it stand out. I think that has to be more than just scarcity.

I am one to enjoy these old throws that are surely over hyped. I get that they are overpriced compared to what I could buy but most yo-yos just don’t stand out. Having something truly special and stand out is more fun for me. I think part of it is also that we have all looked at these throws for a decade and always wanted to try them out.

4 Likes

Yeah I believe I saw it too and I was very temped to pick it up but I have bought a few yoyos recently so I think I am going to lay off. I appreciate the tip though!

2 Likes

If people remade all of my favorite throws with new machining and anodizing I would be thrilled to get rid of my old ones. I just got a new mechabape and it plays so much better than the original one and it cost the same. I think it feels very similar to the old one so I’m pleased with it. Same goes for the dot.eins, its a modern twist on an old classic. I would choose this any day over an old eins. Unfortunately not all of my favorite throws are being modernized so I end up keeping the old ones instead.

4 Likes

How you feel about old yoyos, I feel about new ones. Honestly, I couldn’t care less about modern yoyos or modern yoyo players if they are using clutch response or ball-bearing yoyos, as I find using ball bearings or clutch systems to be a perversion of what the yoyo was designed to be. Quite frankly, it’s cheating. I’m only being antagonistic because the tone of your post was a bit antagonistic. The whole point of playing yoyo was, for decades, to make a fixed axle yoyo toy sleep as long as possible to do as many tricks as possible. All skill, ranking systems and local/international competition was built on this principal. Using a fixed yoyo design provided the very foundation for which we all enjoy, and relics of that early period remind us of why the hobby is so great, just as exhibits in the Smithsonian remind us of where we have been and where we are going. The technology introduced in the 70s/80s with yoyo “brains” and bearing axles created a different game entirely, honestly. Yes, many of the tricks are the same and the foundation is sort of the same, but fixed axle will always be the truest form of the yoyo, because that’s what they did in the Philippines for generations.

As for collecting, older yoyos are great because most old yoyos were made exceptionally well, and most modern yoyo companies do not make an abundance of quality, fixed axle yoyos. Since I only really care about fixed axle, wooden yoyos (plastic is okay, too) buying dead stock old yoyos guarantees I’m getting a quality item that I will be able to throw for months/years. I am not very old (30), so I’m not some boomer, but modern yoyoing seems to be a different game entirely. The ball bearings and getting the yoyo to spin forever makes it easy to do dozens of tricks after a couple months of playing (or should). For me, the whole point is modifying/working with the fixed axle and trying to find the best fixed axle material. A yoyo, by definition, is a fixed axle toy, not a toy with ball bearings or a brain, etc. I choose to collect quality wood yoyos based on the design they used for generations in the Philippines because that’s what I like. You can throw around a computer on a string for all I care. Remember, you started the post. I believe many old timers would agree that a yoyo is a fixed axle toy and . modifying the design to make it ■■■■■■■ easier is called cheating. Or, at the very least, a different game entirely.

1 Like

Traveling on foot is the only true form of transportation. Horses, cars, bicyles…they are a perversion and cheating. Yoyos keep improving. They are toys. Why not improve toys?

4 Likes

First of all welcome to the community. I see this is your first post, you’re certainly choosing to start with a bang! And that’s fine! I enjoy a good discussion.

I can see where you’re coming from in a lot of ways for sure. Personally, I don’t agree with them, but it’s all good.

NOTE to anyone reading this: This is an older thread. My opinions and stances have changed since it’s creation. I do understand more the desire for old yoyos than I did when I made this (not very diplomatic) thread. I still think that the preoccupation with age often gets the older crowd focused more on chasing some organic from 2006, rather than actually throwing, but I’m less confrontational about it than I have been in the past.

Just keep in mind the opinions expressed here don’t necessarily match mine today.

3 Likes

Smokeless firearms will never catch on.

6 Likes

Ok jmtc. The YoYo is the second oldest toy in the world. Let that set in.
All yo-yos are by definition “OLD”.
Buy what you like take care to don’t care what other people think because they are not you. That’s pretty much it.

3 Likes

Electric cars are still cars, although some people don’t like them and prefer something more like the cars they knew or grew up with. One may think that an electric motor is a perversion of the automobile, but nonetheless both gas and electric cars are defined as cars.

In the same way yo-yos are yo-yos regardless of their axle system. If you prefer fixed axle due to the historical accuracy and the challenge then good on ya. But ball bearing yo-yos are just as much yo-yos as fixed axle.

Then again words are just that and sometimes the definitions and meanings they carry have room for subjective interpretation. However, I don’t think you will find too many people on a yoyo forum who exclude a ball bearing “yoyo” from the definition of the word.

3 Likes

Hmm… I don’t think this is totally fair, either. First of all, my credentials: old :wink:

Secondly, the medium of this forum is biased more towards what are you throwing rather than how are you throwing so I don’t think it is representative. In my case, I have some old stuff, some new stuff, but I stick to a small collection and throw all of it.

4 Likes

Very good point!

3 Likes

Looks Like it it’s time to buy another Dif.

6 Likes

Thanks. I also appreciate your openness about changing your point of view as well as your focus on throwing rather than fetishizing yoyos (though that’s fun too, aha).

4 Likes

Realize this is a necro thread, but just wanted to add my view.

I personally buy them to learn about the history, since I missed out on 2005-2015~.

With yoyo’s, if you want a Peak right now, you can’t go and snag one from yye, or off the bst with ease, nor is it going to be cheap. I think yo-yo’s have such a personal feel that sometimes certain ones just speak to you on another level. I can understand why people want a specific throw, because usually there’s not a modern equivalent or replacement for it, and sometimes if there is, it’s “just not the same.”

At the end of the day, it comes down to personality imo. I feel like once I tried some older throws, I understood their charm and appeal. Now that I have, I can say that I prefer them because it’s what my hand goes to pick up naturally. “OOooh that one is gonna be fun to learn this trick on.” I enjoy the quirks I guess.

3 Likes

I know me responding to a @nightshadow post is kinda like lighting a cigarette at a gas station sometimes, but I would like to offer up my point of view as well haha…

It’s funny, cause I actually don’t have a problem with nightshadow’s sentiments on players pushing themselves - I think that’s a good thing when presented the right way. As a jazz drummer who went to music school, I was told if I want to get to a certain level, consistent and constant practice is the way to get there, so I totally understand his point. However, there comes a point where you just don’t care tbh - I spent 4 years in and out of practice rooms, lessons and rehearsals to realize that I’m comfortable with where I’m at as a player and don’t need to do it professionally. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life having to schlep around gear every night for measly pay at some random venue. I’ll always appreciate the skills I learned, and will always always still play the drums every day, but I don’t need to do it professionally.

I feel like that analogy describes what kinda happened with my yoyoing. When I first got into it in 2009 at 12 years old, I was going up the trick latter, pushing myself to learn lots of tricks from wherever I could for the goal of competing - and I actually did compete sometimes (but unlike drumming, completely failed at it, looking back lmao). Then enter HS, girls, college, etc… I just realized I had other priorities than yoyoing/learning tricks.

Now that I’m back into it at 25, I just don’t feel the need to constantly be learning tricks. I have a girlfriend, and career I’m starting, and if it just so happens I can learn a trick or two every once and awhile, great. If not - totally cool.

Nowdays, in a way, I’m a weird hybrid of the group nightshadow loves to dunk on, but also at the same time, was born into yoyoing with a pedigree similar to his “ideal” player. I kinda see both sides of the spectrum now, ya know?

All that to say - I’ll tell you where my personal desire for old yoyos comes from. I’m not an older collector or non thrower looking for shelf pieces. I’m just simply looking to the buy all the awesome yoyos I couldn’t afford to get when I was a kid. Like I said, I started in 2009 at 12 years old, and I don’t know if anyone else was like me, but most 12 year olds don’t have lots of disposable income to drop on something like yoyos (and sometimes, if they do, their parents don’t let them). I spent many nights watching crazy hyped up OG CLYW drops sell out, but wasn’t ever really able to hop on that train. Now, 13ish years later, I obviously have more money than I did back then, and am now able to pick up the throws I always wanted at that age - throws I saw people raving about on the forums, and at the time, cutting edge yoyos. Is it a touch annoying seeing collectors with crazy money buying up entire collections of these throws when they weren’t even around back then during their release? Slightly. But that’s capitalism, baby lmao… At the end of the day, I am indeed glad people can experience the totally awesome throws that were coming out in that golden era, whoever you are. The great part about yoyoing is that there are so many different types of yoyoers, and I all think we can learn something from each other. The older collector cats can learn a few tricks, and the ultra competitive players can maybe pick up a few older throws to appreciate the history and design evolution of yoyos they use now.

If it could all be summed up in one word tho… nostalgia. I have a huge nostalgia associated with some of those throws, as they came out during my most formative years of both my yoyoing journey, and life in general.

If you made it this far, props. Not sure if half of that was even relevant lol, but I felt like it lowkey helps explain where I’m coming from a little bit better/gives context to my opinions.

Now go buy a Chief, they’re awesome.

16 Likes