@ the cross roads

A long time ago in a place far away. I got into yo-yoing I started buying yo-yos. I was very lucky to get into collecting in 2008ish. I was able to land some amazing gems back then and I had no idea what I had but hung onto them.
I would buy from yo-yo nation, yo-yo expert and the other place that shall not be typed. I have built a 75 piece collection with some rare and sentimental throws. I have a 50 piece collection of working throws. This year and the end of last year were specifically good to me. I have found my white whale throw twice. I have really been trying to work on tricks and improve skill set.

So I write this to ask. Has anyone else had this happen to them ?

I am at a place in my collection that I feel I do not have the desire to chase down new throws. When I see a new throw I look at my collection and see a representation almost the same throw in my collection. So I do not feel the need to grab it. I know there are little differences in the specs and that can make a big difference in feel but does this feeling happen to others after some success in the yo-yo life ?

How long will it last ? It feels weird ? I am get new tricks down.

Everyone have a great rest of the week

10 Likes

You can always trade for throws, I know that much. That way you donā€™t have to keep growing the collection but can get plenty of new experiences.

3 Likes

Currently I am in the same situation, may be letting some go but not 100% committed to buy another throw, or I am just keep waiting for something new/interesting pops up.

3 Likes

I have done that a bit. I like the throws I have and am going to keep and pass those on in the future. I think it is a natural thing being very pleased with the status of my collection. I am going to work on tricks for the rest of this year I May get 1 or 2 this year

I take it backā€¦ I forgot the Burger will drop in the late summer or fall.

Tricks until then

7 Likes

There are definitely new releases that I would have jumped on immediately in the past but now I donā€™t feel the need to add to an admittedly overstuffed collection. In some categories, what I have simply doesnā€™t need to be expanded or replaced unless something new offers a real quantum leap.

OTOH, there are others that I might have skipped previously because they were not appealing but I am more likely to buy now to try something new.

Since most yoyos are not stocked continuously, there is always going to be room for something new that is technically not that different from one or more previous options, but hits the market at a point where it is new enough to a viable market.

2 Likes

I think this may be a common point in life for serious collectors of most things. I guess youā€™d have to define success in that realm. If its having a breathtaking collection of thows then you can turn your focus to creative ways to display or transport them. If its playing with what you concider the goat of throws then you can focus on learning tricks and combos that exhibit thier best features. If itā€™s resell value then focus on how to preserve thier high return. You dedicated a lot of your life to the game and we all appreciate you for that. I seriously doubt this feeling will last. For now you can just take this time to revel in the success of a beautiful collection well earned. Until you find something else worthy of your adoration of course.:smirk:
All and all Iā€™d love to see what youā€™ve aquired over the yearsā€¦

7 Likes

Improving at yoyo and collecting arenā€™t mutually exclusive. I would say Iā€™m very much primarily focused on improving at yoyo, but I enjoy collecting old models. Both to learn more about the evolution of yoyo design, and to see how yoyos influenced the tricks and style of players who used them. With modern signatures itā€™s the same, I enjoy trying out a new signature yoyo and then figuring out tricks of the player itā€™s a signature for.

You donā€™t have to force yourself into only learning new tricks and not acquiring new yoyos, or only buying yoyos and not learning new tricks.

8 Likes

I am not getting out of the yo-yo life. I am just setting my sights on tricks and understanding the physics of the throws I have, so when I throw them I know the best tricks to perform with them.

It is the reason I have asked I the past if I could run physics questions by you. Your explanations on forum threads help me understand better the physics of the throws and the physics of tricks them selves. Most of the question I would ask are answered in your explanations of tricks. I appreciate your post.

This is the 75 in the collection

I had a galaxy colorway Krown in the collection but I have started to use it to learn some tech tricks so I have dinged it a bit still is smooth with a blemish. I have been watching a lot of mrmatio his tutorials are great. I am working on threw triangle type moves leaning how to control the throw and keep the triangle open. I hope to be able to do metempsychosis in the future.

Have a great rest of the week.

5 Likes

I keep telling myself I donā€™t need more yo-yos but then my bank account drops a tad and a yo-yo shows up in the mail.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve hit a similar wall, so I think I know the feeling - Iā€™ve acquired probably 98-99% of the throws Iā€™d ever want in my collection and now I donā€™t really see anything new that catches my ā€˜need-to-have-itā€™ attention. Occasionally one or two will pop up, but Iā€™m not looking for anything anymore. More or less just satisfied with what I have. Occasionally Iā€™ll buy something to leverage as trade bait for future circumstances where I might have missed something, but thatā€™s also a rare occasion.

Feelskindastrangebro.jpg

3 Likes

That is very much my position at this time. Thank you for sharing allowing me to feel that this is not too unusualā€¦. for yo-yo people.

2 Likes

This was a really cool thread to read! I liked hearing everyones thoughts about their collections and collecting. Iā€™m a little bit in the opposite position because I thought I had a good idea of all the Yoyo flavors but then I got a really heavy Yoyo and it flipped everythingā€¦itā€™s the first Yoyo I got that the weight physically makes me not be able to move as fast as I can move verses all the other lower weight yo-yos where my speed is limited by my skills but I could theoretically move them as fast as I possibly couldā€¦now Iā€™m like oh dang I want to figure out the weight that is right at that limit but itā€™s somewhere between 67g and 80g so at some point Iā€™m going to have to get some new yo-yos to try to find itā€¦

I also like learning new tricks. I find it to be really satisfying to struggle struggle struggle and then finally land a new trick. Thatā€™s kind of what hooked me on yoyos but I donā€™t think there is a correct way for anyone to enjoy yo-yos or play Yoyoā€¦thatā€™s kind of a cool part about the community. There is such a wide range of players with such a wide variety of interests that all share a love for yo-yosā€¦ I donā€™t know just felt like sharing my thoughts!

Have a good week!

3 Likes

Sad to see everyone hitting these milestones. Kindly hit my inbox up with your prices on Duncans so I can help you cross the street.

1 Like

You can try new some newish yoyo that are being posted in the Pay It Forward threads. Keep it for a month and then send it to the next person who claims it. Everyone enjoys that experience.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I want to jump in on those threads eventually, Iā€™m just not in a place where Iā€™m ready to commit to anything just yet but Iā€™m definitely curious. I also just spent like two minutes tossing all my yoyos w strings to compare weights and I think I was thinking about it too either/or because I can group a lot of the lightest weights together in that they all can play faster than I can but really itā€™s probably a sliding scale and I bet around 67g is my preferred weight for maximum speed and also stability/ spintime ignoring weight distribution because I generally like a more dramatic weight distributionā€¦easier for me to sense as it bounces around mounts

2 Likes

My interest in yoyo has waned as I got in a bit over my head making strings and ended up really burned out over the lastā€¦ well basically all of 2022 lol. When youā€™re making hundreds of strings each day, eventually you get to the point where you just donā€™t even want to look at a yoyo anymore, or at least I did.

Now that Iā€™ve backed out of the string making biz, I find myself at least picking up a yoyo to throw once in a while again. Iā€™ve never been a great thrower and itā€™s been a long time since I pushed myself to learn new things, I just kind of found some tricks I enjoy and maybe learn something new every few months or so.

Along with that, Iā€™ve definitely lost the shinyitis that I once had. I have like 50-60 yoyos, and that covers every shape pretty well. Sure there are nuances that make each yoyo unique, and I appreciate that, but I have a lot of throws that match my moods when I do feel like throwing. If I want chill vibes Iā€™ll pick up my proto, or a Saboteur, or the Moldy Bread. If I want a zippy V Iā€™ll pick up the Basilisk or the Metalhead. If I want to play with a powerhouse Iā€™ll grab the Orbital GTX or a Warhawk, or if Iā€™m feeling more in the mood for an O Iā€™ll grab the Parthenon.

So these days, I honestly donā€™t care what big companies are doing, because I have plenty of options already. For the most part, Iā€™d rather buy a new Switch game or a few packs of Pokemon cards than the next hot thing from [insert yoyo company here]. With one exception: personal friends. Iā€™ll still support the friends Iā€™ve made when I can afford to, like I recently grabbed the Geedorah and Ixion from @GWAY_Throws, and Iā€™ll be there when new Circle City Yoyos drop. Partly because theyā€™re friends and I want to support them, but also because smaller companies like that tend to make more interesting yoyos anyway, imo. Thereā€™s a few companies that Iā€™m not close personal friends with, who I still keep track of too, Rain City Skills, Zero Gravity Return Tops and B-Grade Throws come to mind. I may or may not buy their yoyos when they come out but at least I try to check in on them once in a while to see if theyā€™re doing anything new that interests me.

So all of that is to say, yes I feel you haha. I think itā€™s natural with any hobby to go through phases of ā€œGotta buy all the shinies!ā€ and phases of ā€œEh, Iā€™m good with what Iā€™ve got.ā€ Iā€™m a guitar guy, but Iā€™m okay with my 3 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 bass. When I first got into speedcubing I bought a couple new cubes per month, now I havenā€™t bought anything new in years. Heck, even with my reading hobby, when I first got my Kindle I bought tons of books (and got a lot for free, thanks Freebooksy lol) but now Iā€™m mostly trying to read through that backlog rather than getting new things (with some exceptions for authors I really like).

Idk man, Iā€™m just rambling now haha. I guess my point is just, enjoy your hobbies how you enjoy them. If thatā€™s buying every cool new thing then as long as you can afford food and shelter go for it! If itā€™s just enjoying the throws you already have, thereā€™s nothing wrong with that either.

10 Likes

I think the point of this post was more about a disinterest in acquiring new yoyos as personal focus shifts from a desire to collect, to a desire to improve. Not just quitting buying new yoyos because your collection is complete.

Thereā€™s a fairly big distinction between the two.

So a shifted focus towards improvement I think has these two primary angles, where you can view your collection as being excess doing nothing to help you further your yoyo skill. Or you can view collecting as becoming more enjoyable as your skill level increases, because you can push the yoyos harder and get a better idea of their play characteristics.

7 Likes

I never really get the sentence of people that collect are people not skilled in playing (also when you see the collections of world champions are insane with hundred of yoyos).

If I had the money I will buy all the yoyos on the market, still I play more than 4 hours a day and enjoying learn and create new combos but in the morning or when I have free time (like in bed before sleep), I enjoy to look at new yoyos and buy a new one every now and then, I think that also have a new yoyo every now and then it boost motivation a bit more if you buy it as a prize for your improvement or just because you enjoy to buy it also it is a nice feeling to receive a new parcel every now and then.

I think improvement and dedication are out of ā€œhow many pieces you have in the collectionā€, you can have only one yoyo and still donā€™t progress much, at the end of the day collections are related to your ā€œcash for the hobbyā€ and how much of this cash you have.

Enjoy buying how many yoyos you want and enjoy playing them my friends!

7 Likes

#paypalready

#duncanready

#crossroads

1 Like

Not a fair assumption no matter how correct your guess may be in regards to me and my skills.
I am an average player who never has claimed to be a great thrower but is very happy being where I am with my playing skills. I would say that speaking in generalities about anything and specifically lumping everyone with a throw collection into a certain skills set would be a mistake.

This post was to see if this was a normal thing with those of that throw and collect go threw.

I got my answer from a number of thoughtful people. I appreciate your input but kindly disagree with that one point.

Everyone have a great rest of the week.

Not much left to goā€¦ā€¦

1 Like