The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Here’s 2 of my vids (only since you mentioned you hadn’t seen a ton of fixed axle) - one from 2012 on the very first eH and one from the past year. I can’t speak for everybody, but my fixed approach has become more and more (and more) stall based, though it’s still great to throw 1a on wood!

Per your side question, some events DO have fixed axle divisions. They’re usually run a bit differently - like a trick list or ladder. That’s generally because fixed play steps up the likelihood of misses and fixed axle freestyle can be either prohibitively tough to hit clean or… kinda safe/boring. IMO the greatest contest format ever is the Fixed Axle Championship Of All the World, which happens at Worlds whenever there’s a sufficient # of fixie players to hold it lol. This past year Kyle Nations took home the well-deserved title.

8 Likes

Ah, so stalls are where you let the yoyo die on the string and then use a regen to induce spin back into it at some point. It looks so odd to see yoyo play that involves a yoyo that is flopping around dead on the string. In some ways it reminds me of the difference between American juggling (where the objects are in constant motion) and European juggling (where there is a lot of toss-stop-and-present…shift-and-present…etc.).

3 Likes

And here’s me being absolute garbage, but still having fun! (Just to illustrate that you don’t have to reach Ed-levels of skill to enjoy fixie shinanigans)

6 Likes

@EOS44 I’m pretty blown away that you can perform whip and slack tricks on that Harbinger. I would have said that’s the worse wood variant for to perform those sort of tricks. The European beech is really light and has less spin than others. Yours must weigh under 50g. It would be interesting to see what you could do with a 60-70g Harbinger.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Of course I’ve read these tips many times, but sometimes it just takes a while for things to sink into my thick skull. Also, I think an unresponsive fixie has somehow been abhorrent to my sensibilities.

However, I just tried in earnest to follow the advice, and I landed Plastic Whip and Hidemasa Hook on my Bonsai!

Bonsai is my name for the small Spinworthy, though now I see he named it Burl…

Of course, now that I’m attempting this stuff, hello axle knots…!

3 Likes

Who’s got the low-down on kickflips and Aerials? I can’t seem to get consistent.

Out of curiousity, what kind of string and legth does everyone prefer for 0A? Maybe a preference for fixed axle wood play and metal modern responsive like the Weekender, AlleyCat, or Deep State, and of course the new Moonshine 2.0. @edhaponik @DocPop @EOS44

1 Like

I prefer the traditional bellybutton-to-floor length for responsives.

3 Likes

I use yye type 10 on wood and fat poly on the 650b & other modern responsive metals. :slight_smile: String length depends on what I’m doing but generally right around belly button length?

3 Likes

Do you play kendama at all? I’ve found that a lot of fixed axle is a lot like kendama where you need to use your knees. Almost like shocks, bend your knees, as you go to kickflip come up from your knees, and as you catch bend your knees again.

3 Likes

I’ve tried. My toddler uses the ‘ball stick’ more than I do. I’ve been working the knees.

The shorter and thinner the string, the better for stalls in my opinion. I like belly button length string and can use most anything that isn’t too thick.

3 Likes

The name is actually Burly. I changed it one more time after writing the name on the back of the sticker it came with.

2 Likes

I switch mine out for Kitty Fat on the 650b and it does make a difference from the normal kitty.

I was using cotton on my Weekender for a little while. Now with the new pads in there, the normal Kitty works well! I really like the weight and feel of the Weekender alot.

1 Like

Oh yeah I missed the type. I like cotton for wood fixed, either 8 or 10. I like poly for responsive. My favorite is Plutonium. I like the Venom and Ammo too.

1 Like

After receiving it, I feel Bonsai should definitely be the name! :nerd_face:

How do you find it plays?

It plays really nice for Fixie stuff, though I haven’t learned Aerials yet.

It took me a bit to be able to STM, but I can do it now. It requires a bit more motion it seems, to not go too horizontal out the back.

I’m not the best looper, but it loops fine.

It doesn’t spin as long, and isn’t as forgiving as your other designs I’ve tried. That makes it less capable at 1A IMO. It makes up for that by being just really fun and unique! I can still pull off Kwyjibo, and those other tricks I mentioned above, except Cold Fusion. I can’t quite make it through that one yet. I can’t do as many Boings with it, and I have to be really smooth and accurate to get out of it with a finishing loop.

It’s also one of those yoyos that feels really good to just throw. It makes a very satisfying smack coming back to the hand, and the shape and smoothness of the finish feels so nice in the hand. I enjoy just dong Gravity Pull with it.

It’s grabbed just about all my attention for responsive play since I’ve gotten it. I’ll get around to the Boon soon!

4 Likes