Switch 5a tricks?

Just a random thought i’ve been having. As a skater, i look at everything through a skateboarding lens. When steve brown invented 5a he was just doing a trapeze back and forth. I.e. trapeze, switch trapeze. Basically doing tricks, mirrored with your non throw hand. I think it’d be super sick to do a cambo and then do the same combo but mirrored (switch). Would it count as the same trick and not score any points in a freestyle? That’d be whack because that’s incredibly hard.

I’m thinking for it to count as switch, you’d throw down normal but switch hands before the combo starts, so the yoyo is spinning “backwards” vs just thowing with your non throwhand, because that’d just be yoyoing left handed. Which would still be soo hard and maybe count as switch as well? I don’t know, i think it’d feel more like a switch trick if you started out throwing normally.

Just a random idea i’ve never heard brought up before.

3 Likes

I throw goofy handed so switch would be running the same trick backwards from my off hand (right)? I think throwing it with your offhand should imo count as part of a complete trick, with the yoyo returning to your hand with no mistakes between the start and end of the trick. back in the day, a trick wasn’t complete until it landed in your hand with less than 3 or 4 inches of string unwound, no binding, only responsive tug return… But still how then would you describe landing a trick in switch?

Hmmm, very good point… i guess throwing and catching with your offhand would have to be the “rules” for it to be a switch trick. Just like skating, you roll up, pop and land switch. Unless you spin 180, then you’d land normal but for yoyo’s sake, catching with the offhand makes alot of sense

i guess my next question is, if you go switch in between two elements so that you throw normal and land offhand, is that a trick or combo and does a combo constitute 1 complete trick when landed? you throw normal, into a trick, go switch out of that trick directly into your second trick switch (mirrored or anything else?), then land switch? that might count to throw normal and still land switch and call it a “complete trick.”

Dang, who knows anymore? Lol too many unwritten rules in a thing that has no rules (outside of contests). I just got into an off hand wrist mount and it sparked this whole idea. I just finished trying my tricks “switch” and even getting into the basic 5a mounts is damn hard.

It’d be a different trick. Instead of thinking of this in skate terms, just think of it as a side vs frontstyle comparison. Alternatively you could think of it with the 4A mindset of front/back spin both being options off the same direction of throwing.

The same elements when done with a different direction spin effectively become a different trick. Consider that just doing something behind the back is enough of a difference to have a trick element count as fresh.

4 Likes

As a life long skater myself, in yoyo terms I think of tricks as Frontside and Backside (aka traditional Sidestyle) all performed from a sidestyle perspective like riding a 1/2 pipe, as Ive explained this concept to my Skater friends. Then think of switch as Right Hand or Left Hand (I like the term Goofy for this) dominant for switch. With responsive 0A this limitation will create response which is the modern responsive movement, in Unresponsive play its easier to go against the grain, but snags and stalls into binds are still very unexplored as most modern players are consumed with the Whippy META. Still a lot of trick exploration to be had in this hobby.

2 Likes

Mmm yes, the responsive 5a stuff is super interesting. I need to get a responsive throw

2 Likes

@DocPop is taking it to another level

6 Likes

Or how about I do that for yall at Online Canada Nationals.

Enjoy.

7 Likes

Dude!! Yes!!! That was awesome!!!