Surge video contest results!!

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/965/727/11d/resized/holland-meme-generator-awwwwwww-he-s-so-mad-f66847.jpg

all of you

1 Like

Dude, we’re allowed to have our own criticisms of the judging. I respect the judgment of Grant, Conde, and Biser, but if we disagree with it we’re entitled to voice our opinions, however futile it is.

Not like it’s gonna change anything.
A few comments is fine, but some of you are just downright whining.
Move on

3 Likes

Didn’t like 1st. Music was awful, editing was just ok, tricks were decent but didn’t blow me away. Probably 5 others i think deserved it more, but oh well. Good job everyone.

All of these people are just bum-hurt they didn’t place higher, I think instead of trashing first and second place you should just be happy for them

No. I got 4th. Yeah, it’s aggravating. Yeah I have a different opinion on judging. Am I butt hurt? No. I’m happy for the people who won regardless of I think they deserved it or not. James had super impressive tricks, I will say that.

Watch it again, he puts a lot of his own flair/style into those tricks - and his bop tricks are totally sick. Lots of energy in his playstyle.

I won

I placed 6th. I’m very happy with that. I’m happy for the people that won I just think that the judges weren’t looking for what we expected. I was surprised Ty and James placed so high, but in no way am I trashing them.

And if you really see it this way, you don’t have to involve yourself in this thread.

I didn’t even compete so i have no dog in this fight, just didn’t like the 1st as much as some of the others.

I have not watched every single entry, and like a lot of them. I can see how 1st place won it. I just see things from a different perspective…more of a business angle. I think it was not necessarily just the tricks, the editing or the quality of the video. I perceive it more as what video best highlights the product and looks like something YoyoJam might come up with if they had done it. After watching the top three…the first place video more closely resembles the image I’ve seen from YoyoJam.

I see video contests as a way for companies to better promote their product. When you type in YoyoJam Surge in the search box on Youtube, you will now find a bunch more videos since they ran that contest. They give out prizes, and in return, they get promotion for their product. It’s a win/win. But, since I view the entries as “promotional videos,” if I were making a video, I definitely would have made something that looks like a video YoyoJam might put together themselves. #1 fits that…so I can see why it was the winner. It just looks really…YoyoJam.

That’s my own spin on it. Congratulations to everyone who put one together. They are fun to watch.

1 Like

Here’s my opinion: I DEFINITELY do not think I should have won. My editing was bad and I missed a few tricks. This is what I think: Ty did not deserve first. While his tricks were good, actually some of them great, the editing looked kinda cheesy and the song was bad. I also think that just because Biser was “listening to it the other day” or whatever should not give him extra points. James tricks mixed with a well edited video would’ve resulted in a 1st place win, no question. His tricks were fantastic as usual, but his editing was REALLY bad, resulting in at least 4th or 5th. As for 3rd, I think he deserved his place. Nonetheless, congrats to the winners. The tricks were great. The skill definitely deserves to win. I’m not sure about the editing, but still, congrats.

2 Likes

Skill > Video editing

You have to understand the judging. Ben judged for originality b[/b], Bizer judged for video quality/editing b[/b], and Grant judged for skill/style/overall b[/b].

Ty took it seriously. He had decent originality. You guys claimed ‘he yoyos like a generitech American kid’, but I do not see this at all. I do see some ‘Japanese generitech’ though, but he puts his own twist on it and mixes in various Yuuki elements. Ty also had some good video editing. It wasn’t the best, but it was good. Ty is also very skilled. With this said, I’m sure Ty scored fairly well with all the judges; Ben (who judged originality), Bizer (who judged editing/quality), and Grant (skill/overall). I’m sure Ty scoring well in each area caused him to win. He clearly had a great video with great skill, I’m surprised it’s a shock to you guys that he won. He had great skill.

Now with myself, obviously my editing/quality sucked, and my originality was clearly a joke (I copied Grant’s elements/tricks [in my last two combos]). My entire video was actually just for fun, and a joke. I filmed it all in my backyard and edited it the day it was due. With this said, I’m sure I scored VERY poorly with Ben (judged originality), Bizer (who judged quality/editing), but scored well with Grant (who judged skill/overall).

Anyways, I’d just like to say it was a fun contest! Thank you to Andre, YYJ and the judges for putting on this awesome contest!

4 Likes

Here’s the deal all you butt-hurt people who didnt place; Ty, James, and Will got top three and you didnt.

Now, from what you guys are all saying James and I can see very clearly that there was a reason you all weren’t judges. Ty’s tricks are awesome and I don’t see the generic stuff you guys apparently are, I see unique tricks none of you came up with, or could dream of coming up with. Sure, his video editing was no C3 video, but it was down to business and displayed the tricks well. While I am sorta mad that I got 7th after being hyped up about by many people around me, I get what James is saying when he says “Skills > Video Editing.” Grant obviously scored these top 3 videos very highly, and also scored yours very highly, but IMO Ty’s video had a much better feel to it than all of yours did. It was a trick video and it displayed tricks great.

Now if you would scoot your hurt butt somewhere else it would be much appreciated. You’re killin’ my vibe.

3 Likes

^ thank you thank you

People starting to drive me insane with their amounts of whining, and forgetting the fact that YYJ did not have to throw this freakin contest in the first place for you ungrateful wallabies.

Haru

Yeah, seriously. It’s their $300 and yoyos, not yours, they coulda kept it if they wanted to; BUT THEY DIDN’T.

NEWSFLASH: YoyoJam and YoyoExpert are good for the yoyo community are whiner babies aren’t. Now PLEASE, shut the front door and let me lock it so you don’t come back in. thnx bb grl

The amount of rudeness and trashing here is just getting ridiculous. Mods please close immediately. I regret ever starting this thread.

Based on the judging system which James explained, it makes sense that Ty won. I don’t really see any “generitech” in his yoyoing and half of his combos didn’t even really involve tech at all. Also, people’s opinion of the song he chose is their opinion therefore it’s going to be subjective. There were many really good entries so it makes sense that there is some upset over who won because it could have been a tossup really. But, c’mon, give Ty a break. I personally loved his tricks and it’s clear that he worked hard on the video.

2 Likes

Like I said, I mean no disrespect. I had great fun making the video even though I didn’t get anything. Big deal, I have plenty of other yoyos.

If this is true, it explains perfectly why the top two placed the way they did. The tricks were great in both videos.
And I’m not mad I didn’t win, I didn’t deserve to win. I’m not “butthurt”. I was just stating on my opinion on the results.
The fact of the matter is the contest is over and the winners won. There’s nothing you can do about it. It’s over.