Suggestions for yoyo maintenance parts?

I prefer keeping my bearings lubed, but I also live in a fairly humid climate.

1 Like

@smileypants707 I looked up that flowable silicone and will check out a tutorial on how to do it. If I can do it properly in a test Iā€™ll keep on! At $2.00 per pair of the 19mm slim PLUS the postageā€¦yeah, it makes sense. Thereā€™s probably 5 years of pads in a small bottle!

2 Likes

It is actually really difficult to mess up flowable silicone pads. Just get the material in the groove after you clean it out really well, use a credit card or something to scrape it flat and leave it alone until it dries. Itā€™s way easier to clean up all the excess when itā€™s dry. As long as in the end it dries flat, or somewhat recessed you should be all right. You just donā€™t want any silicone sitting proud of the response grooves.

And if you screw it up, just dig it all out and try it again. Easy peasy. I usually do a couple of yo-yos at once, since I already have everything out and ready to go. But you can just do one at a time, thatā€™s fine too

1 Like

https://youtu.be/vpAU0Qn5RaU I found this tutorial pretty easy to understand. I looked at reddit throwers and some people were talking about using adhesive to keep the silicone in but this dude does not mention it. Iā€™m gonna get silicone tomorrow and try it. I didnā€™t realize the dry time safety zone was a day but whatā€™s the hurry anyway? Iā€™ll still bring pads with me if I travel though.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know why anyone would use adhesion for flowable silicone. It adheres itselfā€¦ and yes, it usually takes about 24 hours for it to be playable. But thatā€™s a good time you can spend to get to know some of your other yo-yos that you might not play as much.

2 Likes

See? More yo-yos ā€¦ more betterer all the thangs

3 Likes

Not totally true on not cleaning a new bearing. Many manufacturers supply bearings that are heavily lubed and would benefit from a good cleaning and a light lube.

On lubing in general, I donā€™t care for the raspy sound of a dry bearing so I lightly lube my bearings. To achieve this I lube the bearing, then blow it out with compressed air.

2 Likes

interesting, my throws donā€™t sound raspy yet though.

Another awesome hyperspinā„¢ lube method enthusiast!

3 Likes

Some lovely weather weā€™ve been having here lately, huh @codinghorror ? :sweat_smile::yum:

2 Likes