Stringing

I have restrung a few kendamas by now, and I’m having a slight problem. I’ve heard of the rule that you should be able to fit two or three fingers in the string below the cups when hanging, and that doesn’t seem to work for me. I only cut off maybe one fourth of an inch, and maybe another third just from excess when tying the knots. When I try the finger test though and put two fingers in the string, it always comes out level with the base cup instead of below. I am doing something wrong, or…?

EDIT: Oh, and I’m using the extra string that came with my Sweets kendamas, if that helps any.

Sadly the string that comes from Sweets tends to be quite short, this is probably the problem. I’m not sure why this is, but I would stay away from their strings for awhile, till’ they fix the problem (if they even do). In the mean time you can try buying string from KenUSA, I’ve heard their string are long and nice, and a lot more consistent than Sweets. :slight_smile:

Alright. I was planning on buying strings from there, I was just using the extra ones that came with the kendamas. Thanks for the answer! :slight_smile:

KenLab also sells some dope dyed strings that are pretty long (long enough to get about 4 fingers under the cup)

Why do you have to change your kendama string? Does it wear out like yoyo string? (I’ve never had a kendama)

You just replace them when they break, which isn’t that often (as far as I know; I’m also new to the game). It broke for me because of an unfortunate event with a vacuum. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats good to know :slight_smile: I can’t wait I’m planning on buying a Sweets aTack this week! Sweets is suppose to have some “Premium” Strings dropping this week so hopefully they are longer.

how do you change the string? is there a speacil way?

I posted about this before but… here is the tutorial again:

This is how you restring most kendamas except for KenUSA kens (since again it is one solid piece and not 2 like the others). :wink: