String making introduction mega-thread. New to this craft? Start here!

Anyone have plans or pics for a string rig that can do fades and stripes maybe in multiples too?

2 Likes

thereā€™s ways you can make way more then 1 string at a time, thereā€™s people who make up to 20 but I only do 5, with my string rig I can make about 10 every 6 to 8 minutes

Yeah I just couldnā€™t figure out how to lol

1 Like

I made this matching string for my camo skyva.
4 wraps Gutermann poly, 4 wraps Coats all purpose. Tensioned to 12% shrinkage.
A but ā€œcourse feelingā€ in the beginning, but breaking in nicely.

5 Likes

I used this info

2 Likes

Made a rig, whole lot easier to keep consistent. Did some new colors and twists. Iā€™ll try fades soon.

And a few more

8 Likes

those look really good man

2 Likes

so there is a big problem with getting into spinning strings, and that problem is where and what thread to buy. ive not tried all of these though I plan to in the future, they all look really good and they come in bulk.
the website thread art has a whole lot of options, if you plan to buy from here I recommend buying over 1,000 yards and getting serger thread.

PS. I didnā€™t find all of these on my own, these are a mixture of thread of throwers have recommended and then stuff Iā€™ve come across.

maxi lock nylon

maxi lock polyester

thread art

neon bulk starter set

2 Likes

Added this to the useful mods and maintenance topic:
Useful modification & maintenance guides ā€“ clean, repair, tune, fix yoyos

4 Likes

Second fade, first popped off the hook.

6 Likes

Hey guys, some help, please!

Iā€™m not used to custom boutique strings, but I got this ā€˜night moves formulaā€™ and Iā€™m really liking it.

Normally when I play, I increase tension string, so some times I must correct it.
I did what I always do, but this time the string detached from the bearing and the fibers look loose:

Is that something normal to custom strings? What should I do to make it normal again?
Iā€™m afraid to keep playing like this and the yoyo fly on my face or something. Hahahahha

1 Like

Well wellā€¦ I just untwisted and twisted it again.
Look at that, good as new:

The experience was fun, so I made two strings:

The first one is garbage, the second oneā€¦ Itā€™s okay!

Once I get the best of it, I would like someone to test it.

2 Likes

Actually I want to start making string because I found 100% polyester. Now the problem: I donā€™t have a drill I made a few by Han d turning but I takes me 20 minutes a string :weary:anyone having a idea what I can use

Maybe some weight with a hook on it that you could hang vertically and spin. Youā€™d have to have something high enough to hang it off of, but probably quicker than hand turning.

1 Like

Yea thatā€™s probably a good idea :bulb:
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

THX alot

1 Like

Should It be very heavy or what do you think

If itā€™s too light, you might get kinks in the threads, but I think itā€™s okay to go a little too heavy. You could do a soda bottle with a hook in the lid and adjust the weight with water or sand in the bottle.

Just tried it and the water works.

Lol, forgot to double up the number of wraps, but it works and doesnā€™t take that long.

A couple of paper clips, a nail and hammer to poke through the lid, twist the paper clip below the lid and there you go!

Measure the height the bottle moves, and once you get a string with the right amount of twists you can use that amount of shortening each time to keep the strings consistent.

3 Likes

Congratulations Matt, happy birthday!!
May the force be with you.

2 Likes