String Makers Discussion

I’m not sure I get your question. When you making string, the string holds tension poorly, regardless of how you make it?

If so, it’s probably the material you’re using.

Quick 13 String

5 String rig. 4 types. Lucky 7, Type 13, 7x and 13z. The x and z are made completely differently from the original 7 and 13 but with the same thread count and material. I also make custom strings specifically designed for the individual.

This is a sharing and discussion thread where are helping each other improve our string making process and ideas. It is NOT a sales opportunity.

Feel free to join the conversation.

/paul
/gsimian
/yoyoGstring

2 Likes

Although me and Gsimian had a personal message conversation about this, I wanted to make a public post explaining that I did not intentionally try to makes a “Sales pitch” looking post. I was merely eager to get into this conversation and threw together a quick post, at work, about my string and rig and shared my Facebook merely just to share pictures of some of my string with the group so they could share there critiques and opinion.

Thanks to Gsimian for pointing out my poorly written reply, apologies to the group for the “Sales Pitch” like post.

NOW BACK TO THE STRING MAKERS DISCUSSION =]

WHO LOVES MAKING STRING!!! WE DOOOOO.

@ Jake Elliot- Fishing Swivel, BRILLIANT idea my friend. I am definitely going to get me some.

Hello all, i have been making string for a little while now but i have run into a wall. I need a good dremel to get my rig up to 100%. Can anyone recommend a cheap good dremel?

Cheap OR good, take your pick. :wink:

2 Likes

Good for string-making? Anything that spins fast. ;D Harbor Freight had a really cheap rotary tool for about $10. Depending on the string, I find that Dremels are sometimes too fast for me. They work on some strings, but there are others where I need to pay careful attention to my linear tension while twisting so I just use a drill.

Drills and dremels both have their good and bad sides. It really depends on your personal ‘end-result’ preference. I have used both over the years and use neither now.

Drills are heavier, LOUDER and often require a much longer overall spin-time due to lower RPMs when compared to a dremel. Waiting 20-30 seconds while holding a drill in your hands is not overly enjoyable.

Dremels, although they spin faster this is not always a good thing. It can be very tricky to get them to stop at a certain tension and some material mixes (as in different thread types i.e. cotton, nylon,etc) do not like being forced together at too high a speed. If you are using a thicker thread, or using thicker cotton thread, then a dremel can work AGAINST the threads own wind and create an crappy tension garbage string nightmare.

If you NEED to use a higher speed device I recommend a dremel that has variable speed controls on a slider. This would make life easier for you. Also, avoid battery powered units as they BURN through AAs faster than me through a bottle of a nice sweet white wine at xmas dinner.

Variable speed dremel image
http://vervaeke.smugmug.com/photos/i-4WmbQLw/0/L/i-4WmbQLw-L.jpg

I hope this info helps and feel free to ask more questions!

(I rather feel like i’m taking over this thread. If this is true please do let me know and I will back off.)

/paul
/gsimian
/yoyoGstring
/TheStringGodfather

1 Like

That is actually the exact dremel I use with quite some success.

And no, you’re not taking over the thread. You clearly have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to yoyo string, so it’s great to hear your opinions on string related issues.

Paul, you aren’t taking over the thread, you are the most experienced and your input is highly appreciated.

I prefer a dremel, and I use one that was about 90 dollars from my local Fleet Farm. I modified the inside cage so it doesn’t “click” for each setting, this makes it very smooth to turn on, and also easy to turn off. However this can be very dangerous, and I reccomend unplugging it when you are done using it.

Sent from Ice Cream Sandwich Eatin’ Optimus V

I have an older style that has a dial with only a click to turn on/off. The rest is continuous.

Lucky! Even though I think I would prefer mine over yours now that it is modded

When doing the first twist, what do you use to judge youve twisted the correct amount? Time, a measurement, eyeballing the thread tightness around the hook?

On my rig I have measurements for certain strings, so I just try to stop as close to the measurement as possible

Mark your rig on certain length. I personally use the floor to measure the string length upon twist. Slightly going over or undertwist is okay, no noticeable difference anyway.

Cut my finger open pretty good today, the dremel slipped right out of my hands lol. Spinning a bent nail around on a dremel at a high speed, not such a good idea.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8074/8315028586_9c3aafa4be.jpg
String-Making Accident by Jake_From_State_Farm, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8212/8315032090_2996e6de48.jpg
Close Up by Jake_From_State_Farm, on Flickr

Yeah, generally not a good idea… :smiley: I’ve been using a small wall-hook screw in my Dremel, because it’s more centered/balanced and causes less vibration.

To gauge the amount of twist you have, just draw a line on the wall and stop when the string shortens up to that line. It will get shorter as you twist it up, so just make a mark so you can make it the same each time.

What are some different setups for putting a hook on a rotary tool? I am used to using a drill. Also does a rotary stop spinning when you let off the trigger or does it continue to spin like a corded power drill?

Mine stops right away, the reason the drill keeps going has something to do with momentum and the force the drill is generating. Since the dremel only has a specific size chuck (unlike a drill where it is a variable size chuck), I use a dremel drill bit, and tape a nail used for running wires to the end with duct tape. The nail is chaped like a square-looking lowercase “n”. Use about 6 inches of duct tape and it will hold for about 250 strings. Then just tape it back up nicely with a new piece of tape and you are set for 250 more

Wow i recently upgraded my string rig from a 1 string capacity with a drill, to a 10 string capacity with a dremel and i’m making tons of strings i can’t believe how easy it is too. it costed me $35 though, oh well
i hope i can make my money back.