Starting to yoyo with a "non starting yoyo"

when I was a kid I started out with a normal responsive yoyo. I never learned a single trick except for a proper sleeper, after that I quit it. About 6 months ago I looked at some yoyo videos and saw some 4a videos and was pretty excited to try it out. So I picked up a Big ben and tryed it out. I got really fustrated over the one week of barely learning a trapeze on 4a. After a couple of hits on my face I had learned the trapeze. After the couple of weeks of 4a, I got really into 1a . Doing trapeze was pretty easy on 1a( I supposed it was easy since I learned it on 4a) and the proper sleeper I learned as a kid help out a bunch. Now I got a bunch of my own made tricks( with some inpiration ) and I dont see my self quiting yoyo for a really long while. With this, I do agree that some of these kids should learn with some basic yoyos first.

One of the last times I was out throwing at the park, a kid had come up to me. He wanted to also yoyo so I pulled out my unresponsive yoyos, wishing I had brought my Velocity with me. I made him aware that he won’t be able to get the yoyo back up but he was game to try it out anyway (which I was happy about). We go to throwing (he did an awkward throw which was just a hard dribble) and I showed him the proper way to throw. He had an idea of it but didn’t realize which way it was to roll off the hand.

From there, I was showing him the simplest way to bind which he was sort of figuring out. At that point, I got to telling him about the YYF Velocity and how you can adjust it to make it unresponsive to fully responsive just like that, showed him the YYE page. Before parting our ways (We both had to get going), we had a little “Around the World” contest, seeing who could do the most revolutions. He ended up topping me off as I spun out and his was still going strong. In the end, he seemed pretty interested. He wasn’t one of those who wants instant gratification; he is aware that he has to work for what he wants. I’m kind of hoping he got onto here and purchased the Velocity. I guess next softball game I go to, I’ll be prepared and let him mess around with it and try out the different settings.

when i first started i started out with a pgm but only because i thought there was 2types of yoyos, a yoyo that you had to bind to return and a yoyo that comes up when it gets to the bottom of the string automaticly lol.

I learned trapeze, double or nothing, and matrix all on a Duncan ignite. (I imperial with a wooden fixed axle, instead of metal like normal imperials) Having those skills made it so that once i got my Speeder, i was learning four and five tricks a day. I’m all for learning on responsive rather than unresponsive, when people start with unresponsive i feel that their tricks aren’t quite as smooth.

I couldn’t agree more. I landed my first trapeze on an imperial of all things! (I didn’t land it again until I bought a wing shaped YoYo, but that isn’t the point) I tried to teach a kid to YoYo with the basics, but he wanted to learn “that fast stuff.” Eventually he persuaded me to teach him to bind. I’m not sure if he quit because I don’t get to go to the Cleveland YoYo club often, but I don’t think he throws anymore.

~by mike durdak, who needs a wireless keyboard for his iPad so he can get this $&@?!ÂŁ paragraph typed in under 10 minutes.

Well for me I didn’t know what was the difference so I bought an unresponsive yo-yo without knowing but in the end it worked out because I went into more advanced tricks quicker

I’m new/old school-ish…started just before the 1999 yoyo Renaissance, just before technological advancements were common and affordable. Most of my yoyos at the time were the stuff from the Duncan line. Basically, I learned a lot of my ‘beginner tricks’ (YYE tricklist) on a fixed axle. After I got those down, it was time to get a Fireball to squeeze a couple tricks (still beginner-ish stuff) and learn a couple basic mounts (front mount).

Honestly, I think today’s generation of youth should have a couple fixed axles in their collection and learn how to use those as well. It’s a nice change of pace from their everyday routine and definitely a challenge. Yes, I’ve attempted boingy boing on my butterfly before having it snag. Pulling off an advanced trick on a fixed axle feels like a huge accomplishment I must say.

I also think throwing fixed will help improve your throw if you have a bad/weak throw.

I feel people have the right to play how they wants with their toys. not everyone plans to win worlds and most kids just want to throw some tricks on a yoyo they like without working too hard to get there.

I like car analogies

of course you’ll learn better driving an old, RWD manual piece of junk. most people don’t. and they still drive perfectly fine. they don’t want to become the next F1 world champ and that’s fine.

while some like the challenge, others just want to have fun and not be challenged too much. and it’s their very own right to do so. and it’s perfectly fine.

I started non responsive with metal throws (after a couple weeks) and now, 1year and a half later, I finally start to enjoy using responsive throws, fixed axle etc… but I hated them when I started because they made things that much harder and it wasn’t FUN.

a yoyo is a toy, it’s about having fun. if you force yourself into boredom and discouragement doing it, it’s not fun and it beats the purpose of a toy. we all have various thresholds for frustration, respect that others are not as enthusiastic about being challenged than you.

Actually, I think my 5-year-old niece likes playing/trying my unresponsive yoyos as she thinks she can make it ‘sleep’ like what I do. In the end, it makes her feel like she accomplished something, even if it was just dropping the yoyo and letting it spin out…and she enjoyed every bit of it, even trying to walk the dog.

My other niece a few months ago figured out how to properly throw on her clutch yoyo only to notice that it’s actually holding her back. I handed her my semi-responsive Mosquito to try and she got some pretty solid spin times for a beginner. It wasn’t super snappy at returning but she got it back up ready to throw again.

In the end it is whatever floats one’s boat, what route they want to take on learning. Honestly, if I were to just be jumping into yoyoing, I would probably be picking up an advanced one/unresponsive one within budget to start off with as I know it would be there to stay.

Random rambling: Reminds me of when I got my unicycle. After getting it at a second hand store with absolutely no knowledge on these things, I read tons of things that 20 inch is best for beginners, and the most maneuverable unless you’re really tall. I picked up a 24 inch not knowing, wondering if I picked up the wrong size and going to have a tough time. I learned on that 24 and found out later that the 24 inch is probably the best all-around size. Sure it probably was a challenge but it was a success.