StarLite Review

This is my first review, pointers are appreciated.

The StarLite

http://oi51.tinypic.com/aet7rc.jpg

(pictures stolen from YYN and YYE)

Specs: Weight: 65.70g
Width: 43.50mm
Diameter: 56.00mm
Gap Width: 4.25mm
Bearing: CBC Center Trac, size C

The StarLite is basically a copy of the ProtoStar, the specs are so similar it’s not even funny. The most obvious difference is the weight, with the StarLite sitting at about 2.3g lighter. So with that out of the way let’s get down to business.

First Impressions: Taking the StarLite out of the box and seeing the sorta greenish white plastic (which, contrary to common belief, is not that ugly in the light) reminded me of when I was a little kid, buying as much glow in the dark stuff as I could get my hands on. My favorite shirt when I was 7 was a picture of a dinosaur breaking through a wall, and it glowed in the dark! So basically I got shivers down my spine and giggled a little bit the first time I set it next to a lite and then ran to the garage to see the GITD magic that is the StarLite. In other words, first impressions = awesome very good yes. After I calmed down a bit I started to focus on the actuall playability instead of my childlike obsession with things that glow in the dark, which leads us to the next portion of my review…

Playability: Wow… Yeah, that’s about all I could say after I started doing some harder tricks with the light turned on. This was 24$? I actually had to ask myself if I got some super special deal on the b/s/t threads, before I snapped out of it and realized it was now possible to get this kind of play for less than a meal at some restaurant (even a crappy family one in a rural town in Texas!).
Enough with my rambling though, here’s the cold hard facts.
1. Its balanced, as in it doesn’t tip, at all, ever, unless of course you want it to, then it will tip to the exact point you want it to and it’ll stay there to.
2. It’s smooth, not smooth like butter mind you but I’m not comparing this to a 100$ dollar metal, so calm down. In other words, I don’t feel any bad vibes.
3. The bearing is LOUD! How loud? I don’t have any good similes for it so just think of the loudest yoyo you have and then multiply that by like 10.
4. The shape is the same as the ProtoStar, It’s a little different and some people won’t like it, but it doesn’t hurt when I catch it and it’s easy to catch on the string so I don’t see a problem.
5. The pads are great. There’s nothing else to say about that, I mean they do what they’re supposed to, the way you want them to do it. When they fall out I’ll be siliconeing it.

Final Pros: Cheap, plays great, looks cool (in the dark), is awesome.
Final Cons: It hurts me to have to write cons for a yoyo this cheap, but, the bearing doesn’t actually do it’s job of centering the string (which I actually personally don’t care about, but I felt I should mention it), and it’s obnoxiously loud. I ended putting a AIGR in it and now it’s quiet as a mouse.

Famous Last Words: Well if you’ve got 24$ in your pocket and you want a yoyo there’s really no reason not to buy the StarLite. If absolutely nothing else it’s just fun! It glows in the dark!

Let me know what you think of my review, like I said, pointers are greatly appreciated. Happy throwing ;D

Great review

The cold hard facts weren’t necesarrily facts.
“These pads are great” is more of an opinion.

Otherwise great review

Alright, like I said this is my first review, you’re feedback is appreciated ;D

Yeah, which is why I didn’t tear you limb from limb,.,.
I mean… :smiley:

:o… :cry:

Center tracs do help center the bearing, and they are loud, but usually its a nice loud so you know its there, not a screaming loud.

Anyways, nice review! I look forward to opening mine on Christmas.

contrary to popular belief center tracks are not meant to canter the string (a kk would be better for that) center tracks where made to bring unresponsive play to a new level. although i prefer a flat bearing i use center tracks on some of my plastics just for the performance boost in the unresponsiveness. (exp: i had picked up the cheap pocket pro zombie and needless to say it was very good at pulling off complicated tricks, i put in the center track and it instantly becomes a yoyo capable of the hardest trick.) the center track is meant to keep the string from touching the sides when you do wraps and although it dosnt center the string it still keeps it towards the middle. again i say that i prefer flat bearings, but dont underestimate the center tracks abilities.

<3
lol

1 Like

Lol just kidding man, once again thanks for the feedback, and also thanks to the others who posted!

Amazing review. How good is it for 5a?

I’m not a big 5A player so I’m reluctant to give an opinion, but I tried it out with some simple 5A and it worked fine. While I’m at it I might as well say that I have no idea how well it works for 3A since 1. I don’t have two and 2. I still can’t get a good throw with my left hand. Also I wouldn’t use it for 4A since I like bigger yoyo’s for that (simply a preference thing, you can use it for 4A all you like).