Spinworthy Ramrod for Sale OR Trade for a Raytracer

I remachined the ultra wide unresponsive I made and it is much better it is lighter and virtually vibe free. In fact, it vibes a lot less than my WA Shutter.

It’s made from an engineering grade of polyester. A material most likely never used in a yoyo. It has a lovely soft grind-friendly finish.

Specs are 56mm x 57mm @64.5g

Plays really nicely!

$90 shipped.

9 Likes

Hey, forum rules don’t allow users to sell independently made products here.

3 Likes

ahem

Read the category
This is BST, not Up and Coming Manufacturers

4 Likes

I doubt it’s a category specific rule.

The rule states that you can’t sell your product “on the forum”, most likely referring to the forum as a whole.

2 Likes

The rules apply more to full runs of yo-yos/products. We are not your store front, but selling one off handmade yo-yos every once in a while is ok on the BST.

14 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying!

2 Likes

Good to know. :+1:

2 Likes

Updated to trade instead of selling.

1 Like

Is this really still here??? Glen makes some killer yo-yos, don’t make me buy a 5th spinworthy people!

7 Likes

Now that’s just silly

It’s that dreaded “V” word I used in the description. The bain of 90% of all yoyoers.

1 Like

I might have a shot at remachining it. I’ll take some of the weight out and see if I can tidy up the bearing seat and post hole. I think that’s the cause of the vibe.

Edit: remachined it today and it is way better.

6 Likes

Nice job! quick question tho: Are machined plastics always that rough?

Also I actually feel like it is good for 5a lol

Why do you think it’s rough?

This one feels lovely and smooth.

1 Like

By rough I don’t mean vibe or anything like that, I mean that on camera I feel like it just doesn’t look good because sometimes it has rough edges?

or maybe im just insane

Rough edges does not compute…

1 Like

Could be this because @Glenacius_K plastics are as smooth and premium feeling as it gets.

2 Likes

I mean, I see some machining marks, but that’s =/= rough.
You can see them on a lot of yoyos and people don’t say they’re rough.

Well I guess I could chuck it up again and try and smooth them out.

Here’s the dilemma: you can put it back on the latbe and try and make the absolutely minute cuts it would take to smooth it out. One false move or just nudge in 1mm too deep and it’s yoyo over.

If I could watch me making you one from scratch, you would understand the painstaking process.

This is nothing like turning table legs or a vase or a bowl. There are cuts where I literally have to shave of fractions of a millimeter off places or the yoyo will wobble like mad.

Here’s a good example: I have a forstner bit for beginning the bearing seat recess. I only begin with it, because my lathe tolerances are not perfect and the bottom of the hole is not dead straight which it needs to be. So I begin with the forstner bit and then complete it by hand with a tiny custom square end scraper I made. Which I have to do perfectly or the bearing seat will not be seated correctly. It also has to be the correct depth.

Now, the forstner bit I use is 22mm, but the diameter of the bearing seat is .870 inches. That is exactly 22.098mm. So I need to use another tool I made which is a 1/4" point tool from grinding a screwdriver. I have to shave the inner diameter of that wall .098 of a mm. A tenth of a millimeter more than this and the half is destroyed.

With any of these cuts, if I sway a little, breathe a little too heavily, ease in a hair too fast and the yoyo half is rendered useless and hours wasted.

7 Likes

I just pointed out what the guy would perceive as this ‘‘roughness’’ and that it’s commonplace in machining unless the surface is finished by other methods. I know that machining is quite the process, be the product whatever.