Spinworthy Button Wood Options Poll

A Button takes about an hour and a half for me.

Colin of TMBR told me that he takes 10 minutes for him to make a yoyo. I can’t fathom that.

4 Likes

It shows in the quality of your craftsmanship.

5 Likes

Thank you. It made me feel less capable to hear how short a time he takes.

3 Likes

This thread reminds me of the days going to the Warmoth website and looking at all the sample woods for guitar bodies and necks. Perhaps that explains my Purpleheart and Zebrawood votes. Bummer quilted maple and flame maple weren’t options…then again what’s good for guitars might be a pain for yo-yo building.

If you’re looking for more Australian woods Lacewood might be nice.

3 Likes

Yes I picked it mainly because of the look.

1 Like

Spotted gum Button. Boring looking, right?

3 Likes

Nah, I’m with @Exmime on this, it looks clean.

Analogy.
I have a friend that’s a lampworker(blows glass). He tells me if he shows a piece of work to 10 people, he’ll get 10 different things that are dis/liked. It makes him laugh as what some treasure, others do not.

You do you booboo. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Edit: that’s not to say I don’t enjoy the more vivid grain patterns as well😎

5 Likes

Same here like the clean look.

1 Like

I need more of your fine work.

2 Likes

Zebra wood has my vote for number one, but I also like the weight of it in purpleheart so that’s my second vote. I also threw in a vote for the sheoak because the one you made looks hot. Have you made a zebra yet? Would love to see a pic of that.

I didn’t vote spectra cause I already have 3 spinworthy spectras, and tbh the response on the wood seems a bit slippy compared to more natural wood. Except for the bloodcell, that thing is perfect.

3 Likes

Zebrawood is really nice. I haven’t made one yet because I don’t have the wood yet. It’s in the queue at t me mill and I’m not sure how long it will take for them to process it and send it to me.

It’s a shame your Spectra yoyos are slippy! Yours seemed almost hyper responsive when I tested them. Maybe some don’t wear in well. I’d be interested to know whether your Bloodcell has a different axle to your other two. Could you check, @eternalmetal?

2 Likes

Yea, I can check, just give me a bit since 4th of July festivities has left me almost incapacitated.

4 Likes

My final wood choices for a run of Buttons will be sheoak, white oak, zebrawood and purpleheart.

I may add in an extra wood type in the mix as well. Maybe wenge.

6 Likes