Solved! Yo-yo Identification Assistance Required

Today I took on identifying 50 yo-yos from the onedrop museum. About half I figured out, and I got some help from ig followers on the rest. Other than two of them. What are these:

1 Like

The blue one looks like it’s from Big Brother Yoyos, I don’t think that one ever had a formal name. The owner released a small run of this one. The anodizing looks like a job from Vendetta.
The bottom one is a ILYY Phase.

6 Likes

It’s shaped like a Küntosh with a tap-through axle? That’s kind of sick actually.

Are those O-ring pads?

1 Like

Thank you Wesley! There are a few other Big Brother pieces in there that were a little easier to find info on but this one completely eluded me.

2 Likes

Original o ring response for sure.

2 Likes

For fun, here are a few others I was able to identify.

6 Likes

@LouVanLanning

Spingear American Metal SpinGadget Prototype.

1 Like

Spartanik RoA (Rage of Achill)… Italy (Or rather, the creator is an Italian who, at least at the time, was living in Germany). The V2 (only official release) is machined by ILYY.

Review of the 2nd proto :backhand_index_pointing_down:

and

The first version—which suffered from a design flaw involving overly thin walls that would snap at the slightest impact, causing the cup rim to break off—was aesthetically much more extreme than Version 2; it featured points sharp enough to pierce one’s finger and a shape strongly reminiscent of the Hspin Envy. It was two-toned, with one dark grey cup and one orange cup. They were manufactured in Italy, I believe by the same machinist used by B!ST.

video ot the 1st model

@crackout likely remembers, and this could be useful for better reconstructing the story—at least the final part.

1 Like

Sure, we added some fillets here and there, got rid of the breaking issue and changed some arcs for better manufacturability and less bubble trapping during anodization (the first batch suffered from this as well).

Here’s a comparison of Spartaniks fixes and our final version (v2.1 vs v3, not 100% to scale mind you).

The horn remained a weapon though. :smiling_face_with_tear:

He never sent me his original CAD though. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the valuable information.
So, in your opinion, is the one in the photo at the top—in the sixth post—the V2 that you produced and marketed, or is it the second prototype that never went into production?

This is an aspect that not many people consider during the design phase, as they are often preoccupied with either maximizing mass distribution (according to their own criteria) or the aesthetics they have in mind; however, when I anodized my yo-yos., I realized that if this factor isn’t carefully weighed, it can lead to significant issues—the Compass and the Seed were the ones that gave me the most trouble.

The one shown in the original post looks to me like a V1, that is suffering breaking issues.

1 Like