So I want to 3D print a YOYO

Can you only post one photo at a time?

Filler words

Last one, I promise.

Doesn’t matter how accurate it is. It’s just the wrong material for the job.

Just curious though, how accurate is it?

Also, “hubstacks” are patented by YYF so you might want to look into that.

hubstacks aren’t patented by yoyofactory, last I heard they never got approved, and the pending patent was just on the concept of restraining the bearing with an o-ring.

They were granted the patent on the thing they call “hubstacks”. How you interpret the patent is another issue altogether but if you are referring to “hubstacks” that is referring to the YYF implementation of rotating side members and also their nomenclature.

I don’t think hubstacks will be an issue. It’s like Duncan submitting YoYo as a patented term. It didn’t work. I also don’t stand to make a profit.

What about the internals? Where can I get a tight bearing seat?

Physical patents are much different from Trademarks so I don’t think you can compare the two. But anyway, I’m just giving you a heads up that’s all. :slight_smile:

Best of luck.

It’s really nothing like that.

Yo-Yo didn’t end up being owned by Duncan because it became too implemented into everyone’s vocabulary-- or something like that. I really doubt the term hubstacks will ever become implemented into the public’s vocabulary, which is why it is an issue to call the rotating side members hubstacks. YYF trademarked calling their rotating side members hubstacks, but I know that they don’t own the rights to make the rotating side members.

This being said, people have made hubstack-like technology before and sold their yo-yo’s (Werrd, One-Drop, YYJ, etc.), so I think you’re in the clear just as long as you don’t call them hubstacks.

Good. So I will go back to Grabby thing. I prefer it.

Lol it works.

Adding hubstacks to your yo-yo won’t be a problem if you’re just making it for yourself (just don’t try to sell it.)  And if you want to add hubstacks the easiest option is to pick up some YYF PGM Posts:

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/197/YoYoFactory-Axles (bottom of the list)

They are nuts with an extended piece to fit the bearing, o-ring, and hubstack (so you’ll need to purchase those parts separately).  They will fit any m4 axle and work perfectly if you utilize a nut/bolt design, not to mention they are pretty cheap.

And for the bearing seat PGM Spacers are probably the best choice, many plastic yo-yos use them or something similar, and again, they’re pretty cheap:

With all that said, 150 grams is waaaay too heavy for a yo-yo, you want it somewhere between 63-70 grams.  Just my opinion though, if you want to throw around a 150 gram yo-yo then that’s fine.  :wink:

Good luck with the project!

Seems to me that one of the benefits of 3d printing is you get something cheap.

So, have you figured the total cost of these things?

Experimentation costs are about $45… though I am returning stuff I don’t use. … I really should just have bought a Dark magic 2… and designed a printed stand. By the time I return stuff I should only have spent about $25

However that does not reflect final assembly price, which will be 15 to 25 dollars depending on hubstacks.

Small project update. I went back to Home Depot. Instead of asking for help, I searched on my own and found similarly sized but thinner washers, which only weigh 47.8 grams. This should get my weight into the 80 grams area.
Perhaps less. I could ditch them entirely.

Next big question. Does the interior Axle effect anything really? I am currently planning on a 1/4th of an inch threaded axle, for added strength and durability. This is almost flush with my bearing. YoYos have only 1/8 inch or so axles though. I am not sure why though. Is that just cheaper for yoyo companies?

Seems like a pretty heavy axle…

Hence why I’m curious as to it’s importance. To my understanding, The threaded axle only holds it together. It has 0 effects on anything else. It is heavy though.

Can I possibly get some pictures of hubstacks, taken apart?

I am looking into ordering yoyo parts, but the prototype may lack them.

A lighter axle would allow for more rim weight.

1 Like

The most common axle for yo-yos is an m4 set screw, you can find them at most hardware stores in a variety of lengths and that’s the size you’ll need if you want to incorporate the PGM posts for hubstacks.

M4 set screw… I just stopped by Home Depot. I picked up a pack, but they are to short. I need an axle that goes across the yoyo. Any idea where I can get a 2 inch long one?

Otherwise, my yoyo will need a scratch rebuild. I may have a work around though.

My teacher told me our printer has a .005 tolerance. Or was it .05? Regardless, it will be accurate enough to press fit components and print the seat. In version 2, I will get a metal seat. For now, I am willing to experiment. My personal goal is a sleep time of 15 seconds. 5 seconds Is the pass mark. It’s pretty lackluster… but It will be a good start to a college project maybe. I can probably get a print by the end of next week.

To get a 2 in. axle, buy a regular screw say 2.25 to 2.5 in. and cut the head off.