Size C or Size A?

I know the difference, obviously, but what is the pros to a smaller bearing? I have all size C throws.

They bind tighter and they’re more forgiving.

I think. At least thats what I’ve heard.

I’ve heard that if you use size A bearing the yoyo will play faster.

What does “play faster” mean?

The yo-yo will spin faster?

It seems like a smaller circumference on the bearing would make the outside of the yo-yo travel further.
Sort of like the gears on your bicycle.

Does anyone know the actual diameters of the two bearings?

Size C is 1/2 inch or 12.7mm in outer diameter, whereas size A is 10mm in outer diameter.

“Play faster” means essentially that since the string is wrapped around a tighter radius in relation to the center of mass, it feels like every movement you make gives it a bit more torque than on a size C bearing, so it’ll react differently to your movements.

Most of the people who dislike size A bearings do so because they inherently call for thinner gap sizes than size C bearings, but if you find a good response system you’ll be more than able to compensate and achieve a nice well-balanced response. I’ve never personally experienced any problems with snagging on my size A throws, and I find the feel of both throwing and binding the yoyo to be quite pleasurable though hard to really describe. You do have to adjust your playstyle to compliment the properties of the smaller bearing though. For instance if you throw the yoyo like you’re going for the longest sleeper world record and then bind it 3 seconds later with a huge loop, you can expect a good bit of pain for a while.

At the end of the day though, like most other things it just boils down to preference. If you see a size A yoyo you’re digging on, go ahead and give it a try. At least you won’t be left wondering anymore.

4 Likes

So the Circumference of a C bearing would be (12.7 * 3.14159 = 39.898193) and the A would be (10 * 3.14159 = 31.4159).

So if a meter of string is 1000mm, then 1000/39.898193 = 25.0638(internal revolutions if there is no slipping for for the C bearing). Then 1000/31.4159 = 31.831 (revolutions for the A bearing).

So you would get almost 7 more spins out of an A bearing than a C for a comparable yo-yo.
Of course without the outside diameter for the yo-yo you would not be able to tell speed.

Also, I may be wrong, but I think the smaller bearing size would exert less torque on the yo-yo but more horse power. Or it may be the friction stickers or o-rings that you would measure from and I think those are all standard.

I would also bet that most of the spin is acquired in the first third of the string, but that is just a theory.

And most of this is silly since you will not really know anything until you try it. ;D

The “Bigger is Better” mentality is really getting to people when it comes to gap and bearing sizes… I honestly can’t stand people who automatically hate yoyos becasue they have a D or A bearing and a gap less than 5mm…

I tend to gravitate to c size throws… But I dont rule out a because I have outgrown, but still enjoy my speed dial.

Outgrown? You mean you just prefer the C. You can’t outgrow something that it’s outgrowable.

And please don’t say moved up to a better yoyo because the speed dial is just as good as any yoyo out there. It does what you ask it to. Just sayin is all

For the speed dial, all I meant was I normally use it for 5a now… I’ve just found a yoyo I like better for 1a … Just expressing my opinion, I can’t be right or wrong , you can only agree or disagree… Like I said, I still enjoy it