Similar to MC P2?

Looking for something similar to the Project 2. I’ve really been digging it. Size is perfect. Shape is nice and the lip in the cup is perfect for the occasional nail grinds.

Any recommendations for other throws similar to this?

Big fan of side effects. And potentially black, gray, or clear

3 Likes

Do you already have a Markmont Classic or MC Magnum Opus?

3 Likes

Markmont Classic, OG Project, Rebirth, and the MoNo yoyos - the 50mm version is closer to the MP2 in terms of how it feels in play. The 54mm version is kinda like a Rebirth, way more power on the rims.

3 Likes

Just the project 2

1 Like

The Markmont Classic (MMC) is absolutely without a doubt really the ONLY way to go then, if you don’t have one yet. It’s not as “blocky” feeling, much more streamlined and zippier, but will have that nice familiarity of all the aspects you love about your P2. The fact that the MMC is considered one of, if not THE quintessential/classic organic yoyo of the modern era should ease any hesitation you have about picking one up. There are very few “must haves” for any collection, but the Markmont Classic is totally one of those few. Although it came MUCH later, it almost feels like the P2 could be a “prototype” to the MMC - you’ll see what I mean when you get one.

3 Likes

Some comparison shots for ya:

MMC, MCMO, P2, Rebirth

MMC, MCMO
P2, Rebirth

6 Likes

Has the MC Magnum Opus replaced the Markmont Classic or does Markmont/OD still produce both?

FWIW, the MC P2 is my favorite yoyo. Granted I only have about 5 yoyos and I just started in January… But I absolutely love it. Needless to say, I’m following along here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One Drop of course still manufacturers all the Markmont stuff but they aren’t considered One Drop releases, as they’re “handled by the Markmont brand” now, according to OD.

My guess is that it’s like a Terrarian/Legendary Terrarian situation where both the Classic and Magnum Opus can still be made, and one isn’t replacing one another, but we better page the man himself @Markmont in here and ask to be sure. I personally love the option of having the 6061 and 7075 versions both available - they’re REALLY similar, but the feel is still slightly different enough to where I might be in the mood to throw one over the other.

4 Likes

Hopefully the FRS P2 means that 6061 is still in the game.

A small number of OGMCs and MCMOs were recently available through the shop’s IG. I believe they were old stock (one even had Power Domes).

The MCMO and MC certainly sit next to each other as options. I haven’t produced any original MCs in some good time because of pushing to get the FRS throws fully out, but there will certainly be more 6061 MCs in the future.

13 Likes