Sigtyr > Draupnir? Really?

So YYR’s ad copy for the Sigtyr has this to say:

… the Sigtyr really outshines the Draupnir - The incredible stability and spin power, not to mention a more comfortable feel in the hand!

Has this been confirmed by any reputable players? If the Sigtyr truly is a superior throw, then why is it being sold for $10 less than the Draupnir?

On a more general note, how often do new models actually outperform a celebrated predecessor, and how often does it turn out to be just marketing hype aimed at selling a new yoyo to someone who already has the old one?

2 Likes

It all preference based on play style and taste.

The Sigtyr is probably a little more stable and longer spinning and a little more well-rounded than the Draup but the Draup is probably faster and better at handling speed(which is what it’s famous for).

This is just speculation though based on the specs and what I’ve heard others say, I’ve only tried the Draup, never tried the Sigtyr.

Okay, educate me please.

What does it mean to be “faster” or better at “handling speed”? What is the difference between a fast spinning yoyo and a yoyo that sleeps longer? Isn’t one predicated upon the other?

I confess I am a bit confused by all the informal lingo that is used to describe yoyo behavior: balanced, stable, fast, powerful, nimble, smooth, etc. What do these terms refer to specifically?

Faster just means the yoyo can handle speed play better. A yoyo is good at speed play when it can move quickly with ease. Usually lighter yoyos are better for this but certain design elements can also make a yoyo better at speed play.

Balanced: well-rounded. Usually 65-67g which is the middle ground weight, can handle speed play and slower tech play well.

Stable: how well a yoyo resists tilting. The more stable a yoyo is, the easier it is to do tricks and combos and the greater your margin for error is. Extremely important for competition.

Fast: already explained.

Powerful: how strong of a spin a yoyo has. How powerful a yoyo is doesn’t really matter too much but usually the more powerful, the longer spinning it is. Generally, the more rim weight a yoyo has, the more powerful, long spinning, and stable a yoyo is.

Nimble: this is a little more vague of a term but nimble generally means it has a light feeling, can be fast, and can change direction easily.

Smooth: how smooth a yoyo is is how little it vibrates. When you throw a yoyo and put your finger up against it you’ll feel the yoyo vibrate. The less it vibrates, the more smooth it is. Usually how smooth a yoyo is doesn’t affect performance but people generally like playing with a smoother yoyo

1 Like

Price is generally not based on the perceived playing quality.

Interesting.

I guess it would help if I knew the difference between “speed play” and “slow tech play”. Would a YouTube search using these two terms yield useful examples?

Speed: https://youtu.be/8t9smmHJBWk

Tech: https://youtu.be/wlW7fhUqtn8

1 Like

Presumably there are tradeoffs between these qualities. For instance, if light weight is key to being “fast”, does that sacrifice “power” (i.e., spin time?) or stability? Maybe a better way to ask this is, if a yoyo is optimized for speed play does that mean it will be considerably less capable at tech play, and vice versa? And I suppose a yoyo can be reasonably good at all styles of play, but that means it isn’t truly exceptional at any of them, yes?

I have to believe this is the case, otherwise there would be the “perfect” yoyo out there that is exceptional at everything and it would be the only yoyo anyone ever bought. I don’t think such a yoyo exists, right?

The lighter the yoyo is, the less power it will have so yes. However, that’s why bimetals are so good. They give you that extra rim weight that you can’t get from monometal design, so a 63g bimetal can be as powerful and stable as a 67g monometal.

But yes, usually if a yoyo is very fast, it’s probably not as good at tech play. That’s kind of the case with the Draupnir, the only players that really use it for competition are speed players.

1 Like

Just dropping in to say I prefer the Sleipnir

Can the Sleipnir still be purchased somewhere?

New version can. Not sure if they call it v2 or what, but yeah

Yes, to add to this, a good bimetal will have the stability of a heavier mono, but still be able to fly. A good bimetal will be able to get away with tech play a little better than a similar feeling mono, just because it IS more stable, but that’s not what it wants to be doing. IMO a bimetal should be lighter than a similarity shaped mono. To me, that’s taking advantage of the design. That makes direction change etc easier. ( I feel like this is due to MOI but physics people feel free to correct, been a while for me). I’m not saying 67g bimetal yo-yos are bad at all, but personally I don’t think it’s worth it

They probably found a new way to cut the cost down by using different combinations of materials. I personally think both models are great at what their designed to do. The sigtyr is designed to match the play style of a techy guy and the draup is better for speed stuff. Iori Yamaki used the draup to achieve 3rd in worlds 2015, but he only achieved 3rd in JOYC in 2016 with the sigtyr. Iori is a speed player and he wasn’t able to perform as well with the sigtyr as it’s intended for tech.
If I could rephrase yoyorecreation’s description, they should’ve said, “The sigtyr really outshines the Draupnir in its proficiency in handling complicated string tricks”. But on a broader perspective:
Draup: Easy to change direction of play and not as stable
Sigtyr: Way more powerful, carries a lot of momentum with those chunky rims
Both are very good yoyos nonetheless. Just remember that 200+ dollar yoyos are not that necessary and they do not perform a whole lot better than a 60-70 dollar competition throw.

1 Like

…Just to add a little more realistic view of something you suggested for consideration.

You said that Iori used a Draupnir to get 3rd at Worlds. But he used a Sig and only achieved 3rd at another contest.

The difficulty in validating those results is obvious. It wasn’t Iori and his yo-yos competing against the Judges. It was Iori competing against ‘other players’ that were also trying to win or place. And they didn’t care less which yoyo Iori was using during his freestyles.

So you can’t really draw a valid conclusion that his choice of Sig or Draupnir was responsible for where he placed. It is entirely possible that Iori could have used Sig in both contests or the Draupnir in both contests and still came in third.

I think it is more reasonable to just recognize that Iori came in 3rd in both contests because there were other players in the contest that came in 1st and 2nd🤓.

Nope, it was all the yo-yo.

1 Like

well, JOYC is a much smaller contest compared to worlds. Plus Iori’s comeback freestyle was at JOYC.

As you can see the bimetal rims extend pretty far over the edge with the Sigtyr so significantly more edge weighted. Plus a bit heavier overall?

Yeah on the sigtyr the rings are clamped to the edge and I’m pretty sure the extra gram or two are all going straight to the rims.

I envy the people that can afford both, I can’t even bring myself to buy a used Draupnir :no_mouth:

2 Likes

You have quite a collection going on! :slight_smile:

2 Likes