Show me your best "hubstack" tricks!

Two things that help me, try to get it as close to horizontal as possible while you are still pinching the hubstacks, and try to get your finger under the bottom hub before moving your thumb off the top stack so that it is resting centered on the tip of your nail like with a normal fingerspin dimple.

5 Likes

I second this

1 Like

When I’m playing at my desk, I usually pinch one hubstack to do the DNA. I traded my mini Confusion specifically because my fingers wouldn’t fit to do this move :joy:

1 Like

I was doing it on the pad of my finger. I’ll have to adjust.

I call this simple repeater “Stackin’ da zines”

7 Likes

Here’s some more hubstack fun. The first one is straight from DocPop’s modern responsive freehand tutorial on pull starts. The second one is DocPop’s Fibonacci Sequence (or maybe just the beginning of it) except that combo has a complicated move where you need to flip and throw the yo-yo from the first catch, so instead I executed a pull start so I could just drop the yo-yo instead.

Tutorial for the pull start
Tutorial for the Fibonacci Sequence

5 Likes

In an effort to revive this thread I will post my remedial hub stack trick. I put this together by watching the other tricks and removing the hard parts. Hopefully this lowers the bar far enough that others will post their progress.

8 Likes

Nice DNA!

I’ll see if I can come up with something fun tomorrow. I kind of want an unresponsive with hubstacks. Seems like it would be fun.

2 Likes

Cool. I’d love to see some other hubstack tricks. .

Here are a few simple ideas.

7 Likes

Last one on this one for me. I’m always looking for interesting variations on Makin’ da Zines, and this is a silly one that could only really be done with hubstacks.

7 Likes

Cool stuff Keith. I like the one stack upside down DNA.

1 Like

There’s some cool stuff in older vids when they were the new novelty:

WeRRD Up “The 4XL ViD” (2008-03-15)

• 1st trick by Mark Allen
  • the trick @ 2:21 + the one after it

G5 by YoYoFactory (2010-08-27)

YoYoFactory 5A - Hubstack Montage (cira ~2010/2011)

YoYoFactory HUBSTACK (2014-03-07)

• responsive hubstack play! (mostly used for pull starts though)

YoYoFactory G5 (John Huber, 2006-12-10)

• not exactly a hubstack trick but a fun old relic
6 Likes
1 Like