Should ceramic bearings be run dry or lubed?

No full ceramic bearing from YYBB? I got myself the sample pack a few weeks ago and I’m wishing I ordered the full ceramic as well!

1 Like

Nah, too overpriced, and if I like it im going to want to buy more of them. Im happy enough with the performance of the ripple/whipple enough where I don’t think id bother. Definitely a noticeable upgrade from the regular center trac bearings that everyone seems to equip their yoyos with stock. Does anyone here even use full ceramics?

Whipple and Ripple are definitely the best stainless steel bearings I own! I have a full ceramic on my Fulvia and I love that I can run it dry…low maintenance is something that I personally want for all my throws :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You can run regular bearings dry too and the bearing will probably last a few years without an issue, but it is kind of nice that a ceramic will be safe long term without. How loud is it though? I like my yoyos to be quiet.

Pretty loud, silent bearings weird me out :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Yep, pretty much a deal breaker then, lol. If I simply wanted my yoyos to spin longer, id just run them dry. Would be nice to have just one though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t dry SS bearings get loud though? I’ll run a dry SS bearing from tonight on and see what happens!

I always lube mine, but they shouldn’t get any louder than normal unless the bearing gets dirty. I usually run mine with lube, but some people on here suggest that to properly break in a bearing you have to run it dry. I don’t believe them, but everyone does what they want anyways, lol

1 Like

You can thin lube ceramic bearings, I’ve done it many times. They’ll still be a bit louder overall though.

1 Like

Kinda defeats the purpose of getting ceramic then I would think. Ceramics are already good enough at dispersing heat, don’t rust, and have less friction than SS, so running them dry is considered ideal for their applications usually.

There’s a bizarre phenomenon I’ve experienced with brand new yoyos in which they run with only a little bit of noise for a while, and then all of a sudden they start screaming like something broke inside the ball bearing. Sometimes this goes away, and sometimes it doesn’t. I have a bunch of bearings (from brand new throws) that I plan to clean just to see if it helps quiet them down. Lube will obviously make a bearing whisper quiet, but lube shouldn’t be necessary for turning a screaming bearing back into a simply audible one.

1 Like

Why not? Its acting as a vibrational damper to keep those little balls from falling into a bouncing stutter pattern inside the traces of the bearing. The same way a cars engine rattles when oil is lock or knocks if its really low, its kinda the same thing. The viscosity keeps things from bouncing around.

To answer OP, yes, lubing is a good thing for longest life and less noise.

Well because a bearing that runs with only a little noise and then suddenly screams like it is broken isn’t simply lacking a little bit of lube. Something more dramatic must have happened inside the bearing (like some dirt getting introduced into the bearing chamber, or some internal piece breaking off and getting stuck in the chamber, etc.). Cleaning should ostensibly take care of that. If it doesn’t, then I argue the bearing is actually broken, and lube is at best only going to mask the problem.

This has happened to many of my throws. I can get it to go away by cleaning then doing the hyperspin lube method. Funny thing though - my edge beyond took me 5 cycles of this before it stayed quiet. I could get it quiet and then it would seem to “break” within an hour of play. I thought maybe i got a junk bearing. Luckily i stuck with this process and now it runs like a swiss watch.

1 Like

Yes, a dry bearing runs loud. Has been that way since the beginning of time, so to speak.

2 Likes