Short Review of the new Duncan Bumblebee Bi-metal

Did you try it like that as a fixie? Or is that gap still too monstrous?

2 Likes

i did not.

i actually didnā€™t think of that.

iā€™m thinking it might be too heavy though. the few fixed axles that I have are all pretty light compared to this one. it would be easy enough to try. maybe iā€™ll give that a throw.

kgb

3 Likes

It works great with the RBC, and meh on the respawn lite. Just a thought!

4 Likes

I got one of these for a gift! I have the cold fusion and confusion. I can try to see what the experience is like for this new bumblebee. What is the point of the recessed pads?

Itā€™s tricky to wind (had to use the unresponsive hand-wind technique) and doesnā€™t respond any better than with the bearing (is that an A size?). It does come back painfully fast when it comes back though, maybe the tiny ā€œaxleā€ and bi-metal design donā€™t work well together. Should have tried double wrapping the loop, but didnā€™t think of it until just now. It wasnā€™t easy to get the bearing back in either and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s fully seated because I put some thick lube on and it seems to be even less responsive than when it came.

4 Likes

Here is the cold fusion (the black half gold half) next to the bimetal bumblebee (the full gold) and one with the rubber rings is the yomega metallic missile. The cold fusion and metallic missile are yoyos from the time youā€™re thinking of. The metallic missile has the same size bearing as the bumblebee and has no response system built into it at all. Itā€™s got flat walls just like the bumblebee, and it seems to respond similarly. This is a yoyo from over 20 years ago. You can see the cold fusion has a little differently shaped gap and goes up to the response pads, and the gap size is actually similar. The bumblebee here has stickers installed.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be throwing these all around to try to achieve some understanding for this. I grew up with the metallic missile and cold fusion, so Iā€™m used to how they feel. Iā€™ll try to get a feel for the bumblebee to see what itā€™s like comparatively.

2 Likes

Hmm. How long have you guys been using the bumblebee? I have it stock with just the stickers installed. I can see some of the reasons for complaints, but they also seem to be improving a little, unless itā€™s just me. Maybe thereā€™s some break in time with the stickers. Iā€™ve never had a yoyo with stickers. I still donā€™t understand the reason for recessed pads.

4 Likes

Some context for the time of the old yoyos. They were created before yoyos were made to be fully unresponsive. They were made to be sleepers. They always were a little less responsive than the popular yoyos of the time because their specialty was to sleep longer. They were created before concave bearings were in use. These were the best ideas of the time. The cold fusion and the metallic missile were top of the line for their time. Neither of them actually sleep as long as many of my modern yoyos. They are unique, but use the context of the time.

4 Likes

The Core Co Alley Cat featured a similar design with stickers and also recessed pads behind them. They were intended in case you wanted to use it as an unresponsive yoyo. I assume the same about this Bumblebee. I put the stickers on mine and put several drops of thick lube and it responds pretty well (using Kitty XL string).

I do think it would be interesting to stick a 3mm wide bearing in there, but the posts are too long so it would have to be filed down or something for that to work.

2 Likes