Sexism in the Yoyo Community

As Mo pointed out, there is absolutely nothing special about the yoyo community in this regard, and for Jeff or anyone else to imply that is indicative of either a spectacular blindness to the world around them or a purely self-serving desire to be a scene hero.

The issue is not “there is sexism in the yoyo community”. The issue is “there is sexism”.

If you post up videos and get sexist comments on them, delete those comments and block those posters. If you’re at a contest and the guy next to you makes some kind of vulgar comment about a girl, make sure he knows that’s not cool and walk away.

Be a decent person. No need to grandstand about it. Just don’t treat people like crap, and don’t tolerate people who do.

12 Likes

I agree with Steve, but I’ve been in the yo-yo community since I was 6 and I’ve only been hearing about this with Ann. Sure, some guys check me out at contests , but I’ve never had anything vulgar happen before…

:smiley:

yeah, like ONLY guys do that.

I have always felt as though someone like Ann Connolly is sponsored because of her gender, the comments on youtube almost always have something like “she’s so cute!” or “I want to marry Ann!”

To be honest the way she does tricks are arm flailing, extremely boring, predictable, generic tricks that look like what all the speed-kings were doing better 2 years ago.
I feel it is clear that YYF only picked her up for their team for publicity. In yoyoing I feel as though someone should be judged on their ability to play and the results of the contests somewhat reflect that.
It is nearly the same thing with Nuu Gatowsky, none of the tricks that she’s coming up with are that groundbreaking or original and again the style has lots of excessive arm movements, however Nuu hasn’t exploded in popularity as Ann did and there are only around three videos of Nuu playing posted to youtube.

All I see are some players sponsored not for their exceptional creativity, but because of the ability to gain many views and sales,and the man behind the factory will simply ignore the amount of ridiculous comments that get posted to the internet if it means more sales.

4 Likes

I didn’t think Nuu was very good at all. When i heard she was sponsored by CLYW, my jaw dropped.

As a woman I see a couple issues.

First like everyone else said, there is sexism everywhere and to see it in the yoyo community is not surprising to me. And like all sexism it is important that the gentlemen step up and do their best to correct it when it happens.

Second, there are many reasons that a person would be sponsored by a team. Everyone assumes it just means they are the best throwers out there. I don’t think that will always be the case. I think the contest team thread recently discussed this. Not everyone on teams compete. Some like on the CLYW are young with loads of potential despite not being the best… YET. Some might draw attention for all sorts of reasons. Some might work heavily teaching yoyoing to kids. And hey, yeah some might be girls. What is so wrong about a team recognizing that having a girl on their team might bring attention? And that it might INSPIRE YOUNG GIRLS to yoyo? Regardless of whether a girl on a team is the best thrower out there, there is no escaping that they would inspire young girls. My daughter loves Ann because she is still girly and is great. My daughter loved seeing her Australia pics of her in cute dresses with her yoyo, or the pic of her with all the guys in teams shirts and hats and her in a cute top and leggings. That kind of thing might annoy young men who think they’re better than her and deserve to be on the team, but to my young daughter, it is inspiring. It makes her driven to practice more and play in public more. She said that Ann was cool because she fit in without being super boyish. I personally see NOTHING negative about that. There should be more young women in the spotlight to encourage female yoyoers. There should be more young women so young girls can feel that they can yoyo and still be themselves and fit in with the guys.

12 Likes

Man I don’t know about you guys but I’m surprised that some girl yoyoers haven’t quit yet already! because how guys that gawk over girls have treated girls like Ann Connolly it’s just ew at some posts and if not even worse! As well as that its a wonder how I haven’t quit yet because if you seen what goes on here I haven’t always bin treated the fairest on the threads. oh well deal with it for me. Not to mention some guys like to show up a girl to there better than all the others which I don’t know about you but it’s wrong!

1 Like

The that is an excellent point that i had not taken into consideration.

1 Like

Proportionally more women than men are going for college degrees right now. Respect those girls, they could be your boss one day.

1 Like

I completely agree. Not just in the yoyo community but everywhere as well. I just don’t see the need for anything like that especially in a place like the yoyo community. It is gross, annoying, immature, and just plain wrong. Can’t imagine how awkward and embarrassing it would feel to be a women in that situation. I really just wish sexually immortality wouldn’t be as big as a thing it is today.

1 Like

I did not say this is exclusive to the yoyo community. Again, I DID NOT say this is something that only happens here in this small community. I’ve been very vocal about injustices like this for quite a while. I don’t know if anyone is going against me or whatnot, but I’m assuming these people are because I’m OP but I am well aware that this happens in any part of society.

I do agree what Steve and others have said, however. I just had to include ‘yoyo community’ because, well…this is a forum for yoyo and it makes the topic abit more specific than this thread going to the ‘Unrelated Discussions’.

I didn’t mean to isolate a huge, huge problem. I just wanted to make it specific.

I hope none of you are frustrated at me.

That said, thank you everyone for bringing up good points that even I failed to notice. I was impressed by everyone’s responses here in this thread. I just came home from a long day at college and I see all these posts left and right.

I had thought there will be jerks who will hijack this thread and calling me stupid or something like that. But I’m glad this is quite a discussion.

I’m thinking of other things to talk about. Until then, everyone else can keep the conversation going.
Thanks, everyone.

I would actually say that treating girl yoyoers this way is not sexism, per say, but it is still idiotic.

sexism is more of a discrimination against someone on the basis of gender; this just seems like rutting idiots who take it out on youtube comments.

but all semantics aside, this is not really so much of a yo-yoing issue as it is just immaturity in general. but then again, it does seem like the owners of the company will sponsor girls for the purpose of this type of ogling. it gives them more publicity.

You know what else I hate in the yoyo community? Racism… I see comments on videos all the time saying things such as ,“Hes only good cuz hes asian!!!11! LOLOL”. It really bugs me to see these kind of things.I think the jokes have died down considering seeing someone make a joke like that ,but then I see another individual telling him how wrong and racist he’s being ,and that comment usually gets thumbs up.Even though everyone thinks it’s old ,it’s still there ,and it still annoys me.I know it’s a joke and all ,but it really should be left unsaid.

Or your girl friend or wife. :wink:

Yes, Graeme knows Ann and he was just making fun of a friend.

Mode Edit: Stated many times here already.
Thanks.
-jhb8426-

I agree I see alot of Ann’s videos and there are some things that definitely shouldn’t be there.

And other than sexual comments I occasionally see the “you dont deserve to be on the team” comment

Ann is pretty much the face of all girl yoyo players, guys aren’t focusing on the main purpose she competes, she doesn’t compete to look good, or get publicity, no, it’s her job,and her passion in life and people don’t see it that way, no, they have to make it sexual, and if they ever get sponsored, they will be remembered as the one that posted that sexual comment on the most popular yoyo player that’s female. I really don’t think Ann deserves this, it really isn’t fair that guys focus on something else other than the main reason why she posted the vid.

Guys that post sexual comment really have to grow up

This is the only reason YYF sponsors any of their players. The truth of the matter is that Ann brings a ton of exposure to the brand, so she’s an excellent sponsorship candidate.

Sponsorship has nothing to do with honoring only the greatest players and great players should definitely not be judged by whether or not they’re sponsored.

2 Likes

Not her gender. Her looks. It’s smart business on YYF’s part. They found a beautiful young woman who fits the target ago group of their product, who is an expert with that product, and is intelligent enough to use her visual appeal and flirty disposition to promote the brand. And the boys eat it up and buy Whips out the wazoo like they’re supposed to.

As far as her skill level goes, I’m willing to bet she can throw circles around 90% of her critics.

(That wasn’t directed at you, Japhle)

2 Likes