satined yoyo pictures..

okay is use 400 grit sandpaper to get the ano and primer off then i use 1000 grit to smooth everything down then i use nevrdull to polish it up…

overall it takes me four hours a yoyo.

2 Likes

1000 grit should be your midway point…

FOUR HOURS?? I get a more reflective polish in 30 minutes!
User mothers mag dude, that’s the best polishing compound ever

I’ve really been tossing around the idea of polishing the rims and spikes on my Henry M2.
Maybe even trying to sharpen the spikes for matador play…
Any suggestions or pointers?
I’d possibly be willing to pay someone if the price is reasonable

It’s very difficult to sharpen the spike without a lathe lol Believe me, I’ve tried with just sandpaper before.

1 Like

I was thinking my Dremel. Obviously wouldn’t be as good as a lathe tho. My main concern with even sanding the spikes was how to get a perfect circle at the base since they slope in. If it was angular it wouldn’t be as much of an issue. The way the rims groove in seem like they would give some issues too. I might just put the whole yoyo in a solvent and remove all the Ano lol…

This looks sick. I recently got back into yoyoing with a CzechPoint Pivot, but I really miss the look and feel of satin metal from my old Duncan Metal Drifter. I’ll give this a go once I have a backup throw and post the results here.

1 Like

Again there is no reason for sanding. Use easy off oven cleaner to remove anodizing.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. The only reason I might not use your method is due to the plastic caps on the CzechPoint Pivot - I may need a little more control over what areas I’m removing.

Here’s the handful i’ve done! Really love the YYJ look.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t mind doing something like that to my Butter. How much would you charge me?

Awesome! I always loved the look of YYJ throws and those like the Duncan Metal Drifter. Everything modern has anno and/or bead-blasted finish, but I personally like the look and feel of brushed/satin metal; I don’t notice significantly different sleep time even on grinds.

What are the ones with dark blue anno + hubstacks (in the first pic) and the one with red anno and engraving in the last?

The last one in red looks like the Magic Yoyo N8. It says Dare to do in the engraving, and has a 47mm diameter so it’s just a little guy!

1 Like

This thread has inspired to try this on an old yoyo. Maybe my Dv888 since it’s got nice flat rims to work with

I agree, now I want to try it too! Does anyone have advice for a way to attach a yoyo side to a drill? I want to be able to spin the yoyo side around its axis like with a lathe, but I don’t want to mess up the bearing seat. I was hoping that I could spin it with the drill against some fine grained sand paper.

Get a screw the same size as the axle with a nut and washer to fit. Cut off the head. Thread the nut on to the screw, put the washer on. Screw the screw into the axle hole and tighten the nut down as a jamb nut. My artistic skills are nil so here’s a word diagram…

yoyo body - screw in axle hole - washer - nut

Tighten nut to the washer/body. The washer should protect the bearing seat.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to explain the setup. I’ve got a good picture of it in my head, which is hopefully correct :smile: That gives me a new project for the weekend!

1 Like

Here is a video by @Beverchakus if you want to see the process

1 Like

Thanks for posting the video. I just got back from Lowes, and I think that I now have everything that I’ll need to get started. If it goes well, I’ll post some pics of the process.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I have to work on my photography skills (or lack thereof) for shiny metal and reflections. This is a Markmont. Black Canon in Teal, but now heavily modified. It’s the result of my first attempt at sanding down the rim edges and inner cup face. I attached it to a drill using the recommended method of screw/washer/bolt and sanded it with 220 grit all the way up to 7000. After that, I did a tiny bit of polishing with Mother’s Mag & Aluminum Polish.

The reason that I started with this yoyo was that it’s a former pocket yoyo that I accidentally hit on concrete. You can’t tell now, but originally there was a pretty serious gouge in the rim. I think it looks much better now than it did when I originally got it!

4 Likes