Response pads recommendations

Came here to say flowable but seems everyone else did too.

3 Likes

This silicone tutorial is well worth a bookmark.

Thank you

3 Likes

Did the thing and I think it will work! I was definitely messier than I meant to be but I can tell I’ll get better at it also so w/e and I should be able to clean it off tomorrow easy. It seems like everyone that has tried it recommends it and if anyone has tried it and doesn’t recommend it, I’d like to know why because I’m curious thanks again y’all!

4 Likes

I used to sili my yoyos back in the 2000’s when there was more variation in pad recess sizes. I used the clear stuff and the red stuff and both worked great in my opinion and are totally viable options! I didn’t have a problem with the red stuff crumbling out personally but it seemed slightly less grippy than the clear stuff. Now that the recesses are mostly standardized though I find it more convenient to just have a bunch on hand and do a quick swap out instead of having to wait for sili to dry.

2 Likes

Shameless plug, Hollywood pads (previously known as mouse pads) are coming back to yoyoexpert very soon. 30 pads for $11 also available at my site.

8 Likes

I have tried the freezer and the nail method. I have never managed to use the same tube in 2 sessions. Can you explain what you meant with this method? Maybe a video or more pictures?

1 Like

Get the permatex brand clear flowable silicon. I tried another brand and two tubes of it dried out in a few months seaport being closed and ziplocked. I also tried the red gasket maker, and it worked, but i like the clear better. Mostly for aesthetics.

I wore out some of the red gasket maker, but it was during a time when I had fewer yoyos, and I was playing this one more than the others. I have yet to wear out clear flowable silicon, but i think i don’t play the yoyos i have as much, because i have a few more now.

1 Like

I’ll record a video next time I silicone a yoyo. But yeah this tube has just been in a plastic bag under my desk for several months and it’s still fine.

When I remove the nozzle, a blob of silicone will drop out of the bottom the nozzle. I let that blob just pool up on the top of the tube, and put the cap over that blob. So that blob of silicone ends up curing as a seal for the tube. I have to pick that seal of cured silicone off every time I use it again, but the silicone inside always stays good. This method is what another one of my friends does as well. He gets about ~30-40 yoyos siliconed per 1.5oz tube.

5 Likes

buy whatever u can find for the cheapest. Hollywood yoyos got very cheap pads which r pretty good. They r currently bundled with bearings but if u dm Ross he will do only pads for u.

1 Like

Hollywood Modern YoYos have great pads. I haven’t had any start to peel out of the groove yet with heavy play. They go in easily and have reliable binds. They aren’t too grippy, but bind when I expect them too. I’m running them in all my daily players right now.
The adhesive backer also come off very nicely. I didn’t have to pretend I was a surgeon to find the edges to remove the backer.

2 Likes

I used to silicone all the time for years, I was used to use in Italy the Motorisil D red, impossible to find here in UK, I tried the red ones that everyone use in USA but I did not like it, so I started to use the pads and honestly I think it is just easier. I use some black pads from ZGRT (seems the same as the Mowl ones, I noticed it in my Mowl Obsession) and for me are just perfect, not a long breaking time and they last very long (I use the Qi everyday and I have the same pads from January still going great).

I like also the YYF red ones even if they do not have a great life span but I like wore out pads a bit.

With silicone is fine, I used to like a lot the red one but every time it was a battle with myself to get it right lmao

1 Like

Yo thanks everyone! It took me a second to get all the sili out of the bearing seat area but I got Yoshicuda X together and strung up again and it’s perfect. Snappy but not snaggy. The convenience aspect of pads definitely makes sense to me and I’ll probably add some to my cart with my next yye purchase to have around as backups. I might not want to wait the 24 hrs to get a yo back up and spinning next time. I do like that you can tune the response by recessing the sili though and it wasn’t very hard so I’m in! My yoyo maintenance stat went up +1 so thanks again everyone!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your precious advices on response pads.

Most of the unresponsive throwers will find a near to perfect pads on Chinese Websites, they are all great.

But when it comes to responsive yo-yo’s , where the thickness of the pads should exceed half of a millimeter from the usual ones , then it is impossible to find.

I found the other day a video about a spinner who tells to make 2-3 loops around the yo-yo axle to have more response ….

I tried, but it is not very consistent.

I bought a tube of flowable silicon , it is easy to fill the gap and make it even with a toothpick or a credit card.

But when it comes to make the “protruding” 0,5mm silicone , I have no solutions …. <<< gives me headaches !

Thought buying silicon o-rings at the right size & thickness and glue them with the silicon glue…

Kind Regards
Lee

2 Likes